Friday, January 01, 2016

Happy New Year from Middle England!

Happy New Year from my home to yours! 

I have been trying to post a few photos but I cannot navigate my way around the new Flickr way so I may have to start a new blog somewhere, get my own website or something. 

Whatever. 

Challenges and I are well acquainted.

It has been a long time. I know. Stuff happens, energy runs out, sometimes things have to be set aside for a while. But it is a new year and I have to try to resurrect a place where I can write and share the myriad things churning about in my mind. 2016 promises to be full of exciting things in my world - in fact, there is so much happening in the first half of the year it already looks crazy. But it is good stuff, and I will be sharing as we go. 

Mum has age-related macular degeneration which means she has to attend the eye clinic every 4 weeks which makes for a complicated schedule here, because visits to my sister are difficult. She cannot fly for 2 weeks after the injections, and so help me, I cannot do 2 weekly trips either. So that has to be dealt with and we are still trying to find ways that work for us. Otherwise, she turned 90 and is in sparkling form. Usually. We had a little blip over the Christmas weekend, when she woke with a face hugely swollen from some tooth abscess, and we had to spend time in A&E waiting for X-rays, antibiotics etc. They are working, though, and she is recovering. 

I aged rapidly. 

Christmas was quiet for us this year - Andrew and his family were with Ann's parents this year, and Diana, of course, was enjoying her Christmas in the sun with friends in NZ. Last year we had a house full! Missy will be 7 in February - it never ceases to amaze me how fast the time flies by. They popped up for a few days before Christmas, which was lovely. Andrew has taken up running in a big way - it started with the global park run phenomenon, and has grow into longer distances and more frequent runs. He has also signed up for the Luzern Half Marathon later in the year. 

David continues to work at the hospital locally, and seems settled for now, although he does still talk of returning to Kent at some stage. Who knows - they all make their way in different directions, somehow, don't they. 

I have so much to say and I have no idea how or where to start. So, you know what, I am not going to try. Chronological catching up is not going to work. I will just pick up the flow and talk as I go, and try to explain things as and when they become necessary. But please know this - you have never been forgotten.  I think of you so often, and talk of you to people I am close to - like Kelli Bach. We have many lovely chats, remembering the wonderful time we had discovering the joys of blogging and the lovely friends we made a decade ago. 

So much time has flown by. 

But so much still awaits us. 

New pages, new experiences, new adventures.......

5 comments:

Vee said...

You are nothing if not tenacious, Linds! I see that you have a few little hoops to jump through with the many appointments that come with the care of a beloved parent. My sister is currently in this mode as our 86 year old father now lives with her and has many, many medical appointments. She also works full time. I caught her staring into space the other day and felt terrible for the fact that there is nothing I can do to help her.

What a difference between one Christmas and the next, one year and the next. Here's wishing you and your family a Wonderful New Year!

Needled Mom said...

It is never easy to try to catch up after a lapse in blogging, but please know that you have been missed.

You must have a busy schedule with all of those appointments. Remember to care for yourself too. I know that the care and comfort you have provided your mum has been greatly appreciated.

Isn't it amazing how quickly the time passes? Those little ones are grown in the blink of an eye. We have to hold every moment tightly.

Blessings for a wonderful new year for you and your family.

Susan said...

Linds!! Hello, how great to see you in my feedly list :-)

Blessings to you in the new year, dear lady.

Pam said...

Pleased as punch to see new ramblings, my friend! Keep it up --- stream of consciousness, if you will. Just so good to have contact with those we miss.

Kathryn said...

Lovely to see you back blogging!