Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A letter to my Granddaughter....

Dear little Bump....

As I am writing these words, you are starting on your journey out of the safe cocoon inside your Mummy towards the big wide world. Mind you, your little world will, at first, be a small circle of arms who are longing to hold you tight, and you will be safe, sweetheart, and very, very loved. The big world will come later. Much later.

This is the tough part right now, and soon, very soon, your Mummy and Daddy will be holding you close, and falling instantly in love with the little girl who will make their lives complete. They have loved you since you were first created. You are their precious daughter.

I don't know your name yet, or who you will look like, or if you will have red or blonde hair. I don't know if you are going to climb trees, or play with dolls, or if you are going to sing or dance. Not yet. But you already fill a little place in my heart made especially for you, labelled "Bump" for now. And that place will grow, as you do, and as this Granny watches over you. And it doesn't matter who you look like, or what colour your hair is, you know. It won't matter if you like heavy metal or classical music. You were made specifically for this family, and you will be perfect for us, no matter what.

You are a little girl who is infinitely blessed, infinitely loved and infinitely cherished. You have Grannies, a Grandpa, Great-Granny and Great-Uncles and Great-Aunts. You have Uncles and an Auntie. You also have so many other wonderful people who can't wait to welcome you, cuddle you, and love you. Cyber aunties too. Your arrival will be celebrated around the world, little one, can you believe that?

The words will race around cyber-space, "She is here!" And so many hearts will rejoice, and prayers of thanks will be offered, to the God who made you and then gave you to this little family. Wow! A global celebration for one little girl!

You also have a Grandpa and a Great-Grandpa, who are in Heaven right now, who may well already know you, and who would have so loved to be here to share your life too. So much love, little Bump. So much love. This family is ready for celebrations and joy. And your Granny has piles of books ready to read to you, and ideas for things we can do and games we can play together one day. Dreams of who you are and who you will be. Waiting.

Granny is not very good at waiting, you know. I want so much to see you, and to be there to see the joy on your Mummy and Daddy's faces too. Your Daddy was a little boy just the other day, and now he is a big strong man, who will always watch over you. Maybe a little too much! But he will always protect you, and keep you safe, because you will be the light of his life. He is ready.

You have no idea yet, just how much you are loved, little one. But soon....soon now, you will know.

Your Granny is waiting.

She loves you already.

25 comments:

Lisa Marie said...

That is so beautiful! Be sure to print it out to put in "bumps" scrapbook. She will cherish it.
Hope to hear the good news soon!
((Hugs))

Unknown said...

"OK now you have gone and done it..." Jo says as she wipes big crocodile tears from her face.
What a beatiful letter to your little bump.

Hopefully today will be the day!

Rosaria Williams said...

She'll cherish it all her life.

Needled Mom said...

Tears are now filling eyes as I write this. That was sooooo beautiful, Linds. Does this mean that "bump" is really on her way???? I can't wait to read the news of her arrival.

Susan said...

What a lovely idea, Linds. She will cherish this as she grows.
Susan

Joyful Days said...

Sniff, sniff, that was so incredibly sweet. She is one lucky little Bump to have a granny like you.

Crystal said...

It's. just. perfect!!! (as I weep over the keyboard) What a beautiful welcome for this little one. I love the 'cyber-aunties' and celebrations around the world. You, my friend, are brilliant!!! (Which I already knew but just had re-confirmed to me!)

(((( HUGS ))))

Liz Harrell said...

What a beautiful post... she'll be a lucky girl to have a granny like you! :)

Harley's World said...

You made me cry...but in a good way.

Bump is as lucky to have you as you are to have bump. :)

Harley's World said...

Oh blow...I just realized bump didn't come when I said! Lol!

Chris said...

This, my friend, is baby book material at its finest. You should also look into getting a book called "Grandmother Remembers" for all your grandchildren. Mom did one for all of hers, and we cherish it! They will as well.

Luanne said...

Oh Linds,
What precious sweet words for your little bump. She will one day cherish them.

This cyber auntie can hardly wait to see a picture of her in her Grannies loving arms.

Janine said...

That is so beautiful. How wonderful to be born into a world full of love.

Mary said...

What a beautiful start to a lifetime of beautiful granny memories.

How exciting is this? Oh boy - what a blessed time.

Carole Burant said...

Oh Linds, how beautiful this letter to your granddaughter is, it's brought tears to my eyes because of the pure love that is so visible through your words. I know exactly what you're going through but SOON she will be born and you will be able to hold her and tell her yourself how much she is loved:-) Now I think I'm going to start pacing with you! lol Prayers that all goes well, please let us know as soon as you can so that we can celebrate with you:-) xoxo

Laurie in Ca. said...

Beautiful Linds, absolutely beautiful. Any girl would love to have a love letter like this from their grandma. Thank you so much for sharing it with us here. And we will give her another page or 10 of welcomes and love wishes when you announce her arrival. I anxiously wait with you for your life to be changed.:)

Love and Many Hugs, Cyber Auntie Laurie

Sandra said...

Awwww Linds that is just too sweet, I love this :)

Pam said...

Beautiful! Can't wait to see the actual baby.

Vee said...

Oh my, Linds. I've got to get a tissue...

This is one of the dearest letters I've ever read.

Pam said...

This is absolutely precious. A treasure for her and for us. Thanks for sharing! So glad she's now here safely.

someone else said...

Oh Linds, this is a precious letter. What a lucky little girl she will be.

Desia said...

Congratulations "ouma"!

Sharon J said...

Hi. I'm a first time reader of your blog but wanted to let you know that you have me wiping my eyes now. What a beautiful, heartfelt post :)

Anonymous said...

I've just happened across your blog, and love this letter to your new little granddaughter. I have six grandchildren and I've always said they are "the frosting on the cake."

I have taught them all the hokey pokey and plan to dance it at all their weddings! (may keep me from being invited) :)

juliequiz said...

This is beautiful. I hope it is ok that I have borrowed a little of the wording for my cherished baby granddaughters Naming Day on Sunday. I too am a middleaged Mummy and Granny living in middle England.