Monday, August 24, 2009

More mountains.....

My sister works for the mountain. This means that everyone who works on the mountain knows my sister. And now they all think she has a certifiable sister. Moi. Why? Because the Adventures of Bog Dog continue.......

Yesterday was still a bit foggy, but Marge had to go to the top of the mountain for work, and the weather up there was superb, so she took David and me with her. And BD. I don't think there has been a more hysterical ascent in the 3 kinds of cable cars in the history of the mountain, and bless them, the staff entered into the fun of things. On the way down, the driver of the Rotair grabbed BD and said he could drive the cablecar. The laughter..... oh my word!

So our hero got to experience snow for the first time.

The mountains are spectacular, in summer or in winter...

Somewhere over there are the Jungfrau, the Eiger etc.... We had a great time. because we went up early with Marge, we got to the top before any tourists arrived, and it was quiet and absolutely beautiful. After walking about outside, we met Marge for coffee and then went to the glacier grotto - inside the glacier.

This is part of the glacier from above, as we were coming down in the cable car. A week or so ago, I had a really interesting chat to the head of the ski patrol/mountain rescue squad, and he explained crevass rescue to me. Some people who fall down them survive, but some don't. In the photo you can see some of the crevasses in the glacier.

Look at who was enjoying the view with me!

There are 3 stages up the mountain, or 4 really. Four. Three different modes of aerial transport though. The fog was below Trubsee, so we got out there, and enjoyed the sunshine and scenery, together with half of Switzerland, it seemed. Such a glorious day up in the mountains.

The lake is totally frozen in winter, of course, and the whole mountain becomes a winter sports paradise. But in summer, people were hiking, biking, bbq-ing, fishing, punting, playing...... There is so much to see and do. There is a mountain flower trail, and a science trail for children too. Bungee jumping from Angel Eyes (the very large extra cable car) over the valley, devil biking down the mountian, trotti bikes, the snow park open at the top all year round......
Hmmm. I am sounding like a one woman tourist board here.

Cowbells were ringing.....

It is all so green and rich.......

There were cows in abundance, as you can see.....

And I really can't express just how beautiful it is in reality. It is a thousand times better than any photo.

I love being up in the mountains. As Marge says, while I can't do the things I used to do in the mountains, I can still get up there, and enjoy them in a different way. Yes, I tend to push myself way too hard, and pay the consequences, but it is worth it sometimes. How could anyone ever tire of this sort of scenery? How could I contemplate being in the valley below and not being able to go up? Thank heavens for cablecars.
So we go home on Wednesday. I am very torn about it. Pulled in so many directions. I want to be here. I need to be here. I want to be there. I need to be there. My family needs me there. And my family needs me here. You get the idea.
David has just a few weeks before he goes back to uni again, and he has things he needs to do back home too, and so do I. Life is complicated. But I have friends there, and friends here, and hey, I can always come back, can't I??????? Soon.......

7 comments:

Needled Mom said...

I can understand how torn you are about leaving, Linds. It has been such a heavenly getaway for you and I see how invigorated you have become by the beauty of the mountains. Yes, you can go back.

It looks a though BD's fun will continue. It would make a great children's book. You should think about that!

Have a safe trip home.

Donnetta said...

I am so enjoying BD's grand adventures! :-)

The pic's are absolutely breathtaking! Thanks for sharing them with us!!

I am so glad you are having this time! Trusting you are finding personal rest and refreshment!

Trusting you will also know when it is time to leave. And yes, there can be returns... :-)

Judith said...

Linds, Thank you for sharing such beauty, and reminding me There's still much to do, getting ready for another winter.

Also, I totally agree Blog Dog would make a great children's story, perhaps including some basic stuff about children using a computer. Blog Dog could have a blast, pushing the computer buttons.

Dawn said...

So what does Marge do in the mountain? I understand your dilemma for sure. But when I think that your trip there is like me going to Kansas, distance-wise, it seems so do-able! I wish I could come there and visit Switzerland someday! When is it not so hot, but not so cold? I'm a bit picky that way!

Enjoy your last two days - how many adventures can BD have before you leave? Too bad he can't travel back to England with you.

My British brother is in Greece right now - their favorite place to go on holiday.

Rosaria Williams said...

It looks as though your vacation is a great success. Enjoy every minute/

Olson Family said...

Have a safe journey home! Glad the Swiss got to experience some BD fun - they are too serious for their own good at times, no?

someone else said...

Yes, it's hard to come back to reality. The pictures are stunning, especially the last one of the blue, blue lake. And the one of you is pretty cute, too.