Monday, October 07, 2013

Photos, blankets and idle chatter.....

I mentioned that it seems that I took the very first photo of Lucy on the opening Saturday of Yarndale. Well, the first one she was aware of anyway, and here it is, as promised, taken in the restaurant of the Auction Mart before doors opened - lovely lady!


And so I came home, fired with enthusiasm, and finished off the very first Granny Stripe I have made, another of Lucy's tutorials, which you can find here.


It has been said that it looks just like rickrack. It does rather, doesn't it?


And then here is the daisy blanket I made over the last month or two. That was fun, except i don't like the joining bit at all, and would do it a different way next time, which may just be now, because I have nothing on the hook at the moment. 


But it does look lovely, I have to say. 


This morning, I returned to the pool after a break of nearly 4 weeks. I had to have a biopsy on something on my back, and because it was across my shoulder span, I had more stitches than usual, and they stayed in longer, and consequently, I was out of the pool much longer too. And so I was not over exuberant today. And now I creak. 

Anyway, when I had had it removed, the registrar said she was confident it was of the nasty variety, but not to worry as it was out now and there was treatment available. But that they would send me a letter if it was all clear and call me if it wasn't. 


Every time that phone rang I had a near heart attack. And nothing came in the post. When I went to have the stitches out after two weeks, I discovered that it can take - wait for it - up to SIX WEEKS to get a Nasty Call or a nice letter. 

There was no way I would survive the 6 weeks, so I called the consultant and the secretary promised to search for the results. She called me 4 hours later to tell me all was well. The letter arrived a few days ago.  It was clear and I am just fine. 


But it is fine. That sort of event makes you re-evaluate stuff. So I retreated into myself for a while and did some serious thinking. You will, no doubt be getting to hear about some of that serious thinking over the next few weeks. I have been storing things up in the head. I just had no will at all to reach for the computer keyboard. 

So. In an hour or so, I am off to the church to talk to some teenagers about the homeless centre we collect food for at our church. I am not sure what I will be saying but it is for 15 minutes so maybe getting them to do the talking may be the best thing. Excellent. I will ask 4 questions. They can spend the time answering them. Sorted. 

After church yesterday, David (he is home) and I went out into the jungle garden to start emptying pots and hacking back things for autumn. Well, he did the cleaning of the chairs and packing them away bit, and I did the hacking. I also managed to trip and fall without being seen. The neighbour was mowing his lawn, so David, who was just 10 ft away, never heard me screech. Fun. Just fun. 
Back to the garden - after he hauled me up again.....

It has been mild, but it is time to get the straggly things out. The tomatoes are almost finished which is excellent seeing that the freezer is very full as I speak. Maybe another 3 pots to cook. And heaven knows the apple mountain is not moving either. Bounty, people. Harvest. Blessings upon blessings. 

It has been a good year. My butternut squash and gems continue to grow and I have not been to the allotment for a week, so I am anticipating marrows. Groan. I will have to venture down there this evening. After I have talked to the teens. 

Right. I am off to get some strong coffee. I need to have my wits about me.


Vee said...

Such things make us stop, evaluate, decide what's important. I guess that you have taught us that if you suddenly go silent something significant is going on. That's a scary thought.

Wonderful things you have been doing on your hook. Love them both!

Needled Mom said...

Yeah! I am so glad the results came back okay. That is way too long to wait for results.

Your blankets are wonderful. I especially like the granny squares - in spite of all the joining bits!!

Susan said...

thanks for sharing these photos of your lovely creations.

And thanks for sharing the whole situation with us, your readers. Whew, breathing a sigh of relief for you - I was getting worried the more I read.

Through all the ups and downs, and joys and creaks - isn't it good to know that we are in the palm of His hand?

have a good evening.

Linda said...

The afghans are beautiful Linds! I'm not much of a crocheter, but I am finally putting together a granny square afghan I started years ago. It's so colorful and sweet. Perhaps I should do a bit more crocheting. I always tend to pick up my knitting needles instead.
You are very brave talking to the teens. I think they will love you.
So thankful all is well. The waiting is just torture - I know.

Debbie said...

I'm thankful the news from the doctor was good. That sort of thing does indeed make you reevaluate.

The blankets are lovely. The granny stripe does look like rick rack and has such happy colors!

Cait O'Connor said...

You are very talented and I am pleased your news was good.

Isabelle said...

Yes, I had a similar biopsy experience a few weeks ago. Six weeks is a long time to wait. However, I was ok - glad you were too.

Run Quilt Knit Write said...

I'm glad everything came back OK - you and I seem to have been having similar experiences recently!

Sherry said...

Miss your posts...hoping all is well.

Vee said...

Still silent... Thinking of you! Praying, too...