Sunday, February 10, 2008

Did I mention that I have great kids????

I love surprises. The nice kind. Mind you, the word "surprise" doesn't really apply to the other type, does it. "Shock" is more apt. But back to surprises.

Yesterday morning, I was minding my own business, pottering about the house before I went to do the food shop, and the doorbell rang. Tesco home delivery man stood there, and I thought, oh, someone must be out next door. And then he said...."I know you are not expecting a delivery, but this is a present from Diana", and I stood there looking rather dumb. I am a little slow early on a Saturday morning, people. The words "Diana" and "surprise" have started to go together round here.

"But she is in New Zealand" I said in a helpful manner. "Is she really?" he said. "Anyway, she has ordered you a delivery". So I reached out to take the 2 parcels, and he said, "Wait.... there is more" and brought in another 4 bags of groceries. I nearly forgot that my mother was on the phone as I stood there amongst things like Belgian chocolate cheesecake, Lindt chocolates, rhubarb yoghurt, butternut squash and the like. I was speechless. My daughter on the other side of the world did my food shopping. There is NO WAY my guilt re the size of the hips would have let me buy the fancy bits, but oh, how we are loving it all!!

I tried to call her, but the line was engaged, and we exchanged some text messages, and she "just felt like sending a surprise!" When I called my son to tell him, he immediately said.."She is not here!" which made me laugh. I did suggest he check though.

So how is that for a lovely way to wake up on a Saturday morning?? My kids are really amazing. I am biased, of course, but they are indeed. And it made me smile all day. David smiled too when he saw the chocolate mousse in the fridge. I am a mean mother.... I don't buy these things!

The internet is a wonderful place. Isn't it amazing to think that you can sit in your home anywhere in the world, and order things in another place which will be delivered the next day or so? It still boggles my mind.

So instead of food shopping, I went to the Traidcraft coffee morning in the village, and then friends popped in to visit. I hacked back some of those dead-looking bushy things in the garden, and watched some 6 nations rugby. And ate the chocolates. I am going to have to declare a state of emergency re the hips any minute now. I keep thinking that I can walk it off in the Alps next week. Hah. I would have to stay for a couple of months at this rate. And that would not be a bad thing at all. Staying for a couple of months. Pity about having that little thing called work to consider.

It is a beautiful winter day. Blue skies, frost on the ground, and bright sun. And I just spoke to the food shopper on the other side of the world. I am still smiling.

18 comments:

Angie said...

That is so great! What a surprise. What an awesome daughter. I think that means you must be an awesome mom. Enjoy those chocolates!

Vee said...

Diana is one amazing daughter! That's a gift that will live in memory forever. I'm leaving here today all grins.

Rising Rainbow said...

yes, work messes up lots of things but surprises are good. lol

Linda said...

What a sweet, thoughtful surprise Linds. You do,indeed, have great kids. I didn't realize you could do that, but now that I think of it - of course you can. We live in a wonderful time!
Thank you for your comment. I just love reading your words. You always say just the right thing.

Midlife Mom said...

What a wonderful post! It made me smile too as it was such a sweet thing for your daughter to do. I laughed out loud when you said that about the hips, I can so relate!! heehee! Yes, it is an amazing time that we live in with all of this technology. Fun isn't it?!

Needled Mom said...

Wow! What an amazing thing to do for you. She certainly has the knowledge for just what you need right now -- forget the hips for the sheer enjoyment of the gift. You have been blessed with wonderful kids.

Dawn said...

I have gone back and caught up - I am WAY behind! But I love to read what you write - it always makes me smile, even when you are not. You have such an amazing way with words! And an amazing daughter!

Unknown said...

........... and who could ask for anything more. What a wonderful surprise.

Barbara said...

What a wonderful surprise and who would have thought of doing that. I see a new trend among the blogging community.

OK. Linds - dont want you suffering from bloggers block so I have tagged you with a book meme.

Susan said...

Oh Linds, what a wonderful daughter, and it reflects to the wonderful Mom you are!!! I am so happy for you, and for her, too, because that had to have delighted her heart to be able to bless you like that.

I answered your Blogoversary question to me today. Drop over and check it out.
Susan

meggie said...

What a wonderful surprise! What a lovely daughter. But of course, you deserve it, & you are a wonderful Mum, that is why your children are so wonderful!

Pam said...

Awww... how lovely. So nice. I haven't even managed to get round to the Tesco online thing for myself, let alone doing it for anyone in NZ. (Is there a Tesco in NZ...?)

Anyway, you have perfect children - just like mine - and you're clearly a perfect mum. Enjoy those chocolates and forget the hips. The trick is never to look in a mirror.

someone else said...

Wow, what an awesome surprise! You have every right to be proud of your children. They certainly know what makes their mother happy.

Lori said...

How wonderful! She is an amazing daughter indeed! You are truly blessed.

Stop by my place when you get a chance. I have something for you!

Crystal said...

Oh, what a wonderful thing for her to do! Such a treat to have it come right to your door too. Enjoy!

I too am surprised at the thoughtful things our kids do for us. It just makes me smile the whole day long.

Could you pray for our Melinda this week? She's having some health concerns and is so far from home. She is receiving medical care in Poland but I'm still worried (as I know her and Tyler are). Thanks so much!

Amy said...

Hi,
Um this has nothing to do with your post, but I saw your comment on boomama's page about Compassion.
I think you can sponsor a child through the US site even if you are in a different country but there is a compassion UK site...
it's compassionuk.org
hope this helps.

Girl Raised in the South said...

This was such a fun, sweet post. Thank you for sharing.

Barb said...

What a wonderful surprise that must have been, Linds. How very sweet of her to do that for you. And yes, it still amazes me, the things we can do with the Internet.