Thursday, November 12, 2009

Mums and other wonderful things.......


It is Mum's birthday today! Happy Birthday, Mum! I swear she has more energy than Marge and me combined, and never seems to age at all. Marge and I say frequently that if we ever get to 84, which will probably require a miracle or three, we will be wrecks. Mother on the other hand, is amazing.

The photo was taken this summer, next to the lake. One of her absolute favourite things is to go on the lake steamer. She loves being on the water, and it is a wonderful way to relax because there is absolutely nothing to do except sit back and enjoy the trip. Please note the hair. I am greyer than my own mother, under the highlights. Sigh. She has never coloured her hair. That is the real thing. Bigger sigh. And that stick she is holding, please note, is MINE. Not hers. I need a stick. Mother does not. That says it all.

Anyway. Both Marge and I know we have been incredibly blessed to have her as our Mum. The whole family adores her, and she is wonderful. And once she reads this, her head will be too big for her hat. We love you, Mum!

My morning involved sharp objects. I went to await delivery and installation of a new dishwasher for some friends of mine, and the delivery men arrived, and took one look at the old dishwasher and informed me that they were " not allowed to disconnect old appliances". So I told them to move out the way, and hauled the old one out, and, muttering righty tighty, lefty loosey to myself, I switched off the plug, closed the water off, and removed all pipes. Then stood up and told them to get on with things.

10 seconds later, they informed me that they had a problem. The outlet pipe was too big to go through the hole in the side of the cupboard to the drain. "We will have to leave it" they said. I think not. I told them to stop right there, grabbed a kitchen knife, and buried myself in the cupboard, and sawed through the wood until the pipe fitted. There is nothing like taking a kitchen knife to one's friends' kitchen units. Believe me. There was no way I was letting them leave without finishing the installation. Strike one for me. Not sure about the knife though. It may never be quite the same again.

So that was the first of the sharp objects. The next collection of very sharp things was at the hospital, where I had the last (of this set) of my acupuncture appointments. Not pleasant. I am not at all convinced they have worked. I will reserve judgement. Apparently I can have another series in a month or so if I want them. We will see. Right now I am not thrilled at the prospect.

So there you have it. Oh, here is a photo of my new best friends. The gloves I talked about.

One of them. I have not mastered the art of taking a photo of both my hands together. I can't tell you how wonderful they are. They are not even a week old, and look as though I have worn them non-stop for 4 years. Maybe I need more than one pair.......

I have not forgotten Psalm 46. Tomorrow. I am not doing a thing tomorrow. I need to recover from the sharp stuff!

6 comments:

Crystal said...

Oh, you do make me laugh!!! I can just see you in that kitchen, muttering and getting things done! Yeah for you!!!! The new gloves are cute - great colors for happy days! Enjoy your day tomorrow - do only the things you really want to do.

And Happy Birthday to your Mom - she has amazing daughters :))

Lisa Marie said...

Oh Linds you made me giggle!! That sounds just like me ~ move on with it or get out of my way ;)

It's sometimes the only way to get things done, isn't it. By the way, are you an Aries?? I think that's whats wrong with me.

Happy Birthday to your Mum! She is beautiful and hey whats wrong with gray hair. Mine in coming in nicely, well that's what I keep telling myself.

Have a great day!

Needled Mom said...

You are too funny, Linds. I would not want to run up against you and installation of the dishwasher.

Happy, happy birthday to your mum. She does look wonderful and glad to read she is doing so well.

Anonymous said...

welove Granny very much too. I hope you don't mind us adopting her, but she is a darling. G2B2 X

Judith said...

Linds, Good for you, for getting the appliance replaced. This world could use more friends like you.

Thanks for sharing what a great lady your Mom is. Not only are you a real good friend. You're a special daughter, too.

Dawn said...

I love this post. I cannot get over the fact that they can't do what needs to be done when they arrive to install. The law suit thing has gotten way out of hand!

I'm so far behind - but I'm catching up! Part I of the Maine trip is finally up.