Monday, December 27, 2010

A morning walk.....

The Kloster.
Well, hello there. The weather in the mountains is changeable. Very. This morning the sun shone brightly again, so my camera and I went for a walk with my leki poles. Via the wool shop. My sister, bless her cotton socks, gave me two, TWO, gift vouchers for the wool shop for Christmas. This is a great place to buy wool. Super selection of different types too. However (wail) this wool shop is closing come summer, as the lady is moving. (Bigger wail.)



So I had to use a voucher, didn't I? I did. And got 4 balls of beautiful wool, and a hat is already in progress. As it was -15C this morning, this is somewhat urgent if my ears are to stay attached. One needs ears. And I still have another voucher to spend. Oh, bliss. Having a selection of gift vouchers in my wallet is just a great feeling, and it makes me grin. Huge grins.


I walked on to the Kloster because I can't find the photos I have taken of it in previous winters, and on to the Klostermatt, where there was much skiing, tobogganing and snowboarding in progress. Squeals of laughter and shouts of fun. Then I noticed that the sun was about to creep over the mountain peak, so I waited for it to shine on the Kloster bell tower. I am so glad I did, because it was beautiful.


And home via the Bäkerei to get fresh bread. I slipped on the ice and landed, you guessed it, on my knee. However, I twisted myself as I fell and managed to land on the outer edge, but still....... Thankfully, I was totally numb from the cold and could not feel my legs, or hands, or face (or any other body part for that matter) anyway, so I managed to heave myself up using my leki poles, and plodded on home. I have no idea how I slipped. For goodness sake, I am wearing heavy duty snow boots, and always use leki poles and the lady ahead of me was wearing ordinary high heeled boots and SHE managed not to fall. Sigh. I am getting old and doddery, it seems.



After swallowing extra pain killers, I do believe I will live. I have peanut butter biscuits, and hot coffee and a crochet hook in hand. And back to the beginning of this post.....the weather. The sky is now grey. Clouds rolling in, and according to my brother-in-law, fog about to creep up the valley as well. I am so glad I went out when I did. In the mountains, you never know what will happen next.



Well, that was my morning. Tomorrow, I will be wearing my new hat.

7 comments:

Needled Mom said...

Oh no!!! I do hope that knee does not give you some fits when you have such beauty to see. It really does look like something out of a winter movie. It is just gorgeous and the bits of sun shining make it look magical.

Take care of that knee.

Fran Hill said...

Pictures look great. It says in your profile you live in middle England. I presume that means you're away for the Christmas period, then ... although middle England doesn't look too dissimilar to the photographs here. The thaw has set in, though. Drip, drip, drip ...

Vee said...

The world you are living in now is so beautiful...love the blues, whites, and the promise of sunshine or fog makes no difference as this world looks beautiful regardless of adornments. You fell? On your knee? Ackkk. I'm glad that you've concluded that you'll survive. Have you also got some grippers for your boots? I want to see the newly knitted hat when you've completed it. Hope that it has flaps to protect your ears. Sorry to read that your favorite wool shop will be closing, but perhaps you could buy it??? What do you think of that? :D Don't I have splendid ideas? Ha!

(I fell, too, last Friday, on my icy steps. It was a classic "Home Alone" fall on icy steps and oh ouchie did it hurt. John heard me yowling and rushed to help. My backside is most colorful now...purples and grays and sage greens. Ugh. It is hysterical that I must climb out of bed to turn and then climb back in. Repeated as necessary all night long. I'm exhausted.)

Linda said...

It looks like a magical land Linds.
I'm so sorry you took a fall. Time to put your feet up and just relax into all that beauty around you.

Pam said...

Oooh, so pretty and so cold! And so sorry that you fell down - hope there's no real damage.

someone else said...

I'm always just speechless when I see these photos you post. It's hard to imagine this place as a real-life place. So beautiful!

Helen in Switzerland said...

Gorgeous photos! Made me feel like I really must plan a visit to Engelberg soon - before the wool shop closes too! Do you know where the wool lady is moving to? It would be lovely if she was coming down my way!!