Saturday, February 02, 2013

Flower dishcloths and an important link.................

Oh, the sun is shining and the skies are blue and it is just a beautiful day here in Middle England. I was full of good intentions re the weeds in the garden until I went out there, and nearly froze to death. That would be because I look at the weather and assume things. The sun was shining, therefore it would be warm.

You would think that by the age of 58 I would have worked that one out, wouldn't you? Exactly.

So I barrelled inside again and the weeding is "on hold" for now. Instead, I baked some croissants and we had them for lunch, which warmed up the kitchen, so that was killing 2 birds with one stone. Three, if you take into account the fact that I thawed.

This morning, my cousin linked to a post she had read, and really, my friends, I cannot emphasise enough how important I think it is for everyone to read this. Especially if, like me, you have a lifetime of avoiding the camera in your past. The author is a photographer herself, and oh, does she make sense. What a wake up call. We never see ourselves through the eyes of those who love us. Now we cannot avoid doing so. Please read and share and pass the link on. To everyone. Most importantly, to every mother, granny, sister, auntie. Just anyone. I wish I had read this 20 years ago. 30 years ago. 40 years ago. 50 years ago.

So you think you are too fat to be photographed is the post, and it should be required reading for all. Do you think I have made myself clear enough?? Pop over then, and read.

You are back.

Good. Do you see what I meant? I really hope so. I also hope every one of us posts some of those not so flattering but ever so expressive photos we have passed over recently. Crying with laughter, hair on end, bulges and all. Real.

Oh, about the bulges. Maybe 3 croissants was a bit over the top. With raspberry jam and pepper cheese. Hmmm.

003

 Last night, inspired by my friend, Sandra, I hunted down some cotton in my yarn stash, found the Flower Power pattern she used on Ravelry and made a couple of flower dishcloths.

004
   
 They are actually really simple once you get going and work out the US/UK stitches and what they are.

006
   
 Mother is making a blanket a week and is making me feel like a slug, because my Attach-as-you -go-Granny-blanket is going slow. (Interpret that as Linds has lost the will to crochet right now.) So anything quick and simple is working for me.

007


The Granny blanket is actually growing. I am almost finished 2 rows so far, and yes,there is a long way to go, but I have got the hang of the joining now, so if I put my mind to it, it would grow apace. Maybe I should go and do that now. Or make another 20 dishcloths. I found the cotton stash today, so I can make some in different colours for the seasons. Or presents. Or maybe I should make some ordinary square ones. I have patterns. 

Right. It is time to be creative. I will be back. Have a great and warm weekend!

3 comments:

Susan said...

Wonderful reminder to get in the photo!

The flowers are so cute - love the colors.

Enjoy your weekend - have a blessed Sunday

Sandra said...

Love how your dishcloths turned out, I have two in those exact same color combos lol Just made them today ;)

Thanks for the link to the photographer's post, what a great read and so important too. Wake up call for sure.

Cait O'Connor said...

Your link was very moving.