Thursday, April 01, 2010

Children growing up.......

Try reading emails while talking to a daughter on MSN, skyping with daughter-in-law and granddaughter and answering both phone and mobile at the same time. And drinking the coffee which kickstarts the brain early in the morning. I was in need of a nap after that lot. My multi-tasking days are clearly over, or at the very least, a little rusty.

And the sun was shining for a brief second, and I missed it. I was multi-whatever-ing. And now the rain and freezing cold is back. Oh well.

However.....

I will actually be seeing my youngest son on his birthday on Saturday! His 21st birthday, although I have no idea how that happened. He was a toddler just 2 weeks ago....or so it seems. I have been trying to find out what he wanted to do for the past few weeks, if he had plans, where he wanted to be, etc etc etc, and in typical David fashion, he was ambivalent. So I decided that he was 21 and did not really need to see his mother and he could have fun with his friends. Only his big brother had different plans, and has arranged it all. There will be cake, and much celebrating going on. So my weekend has taken on a different look.

How can my baby be 21? Ridiculous. I was a little surprised when I found out he was on his way 21 years ago, but oh, what a blessing he has been to this family. He is like a rock, and has a wicked sense of humour. He is also the quietest of my children, but doesn't miss a thing. A very deep thinker, with a fascinating mind. And the kindest of hearts. A real gentle giant. He is also the biggest in the family - he towers over us all. His older brother was not too thrilled about that part.

David grew up over night when his Dad died, and I know that Geoff would have been immensely proud of the man he has become. You know, my mind is just filled right now with the memories of that little tornado of a boy with long curly red hair and boundless energy. So different now he has grown up to that little one. Setting off alarms, climbing burglar bars, looking for Tracy Island in the ocean, Power Ranger suits, refusing to get in the pool, sliding down stairs on his stomach, mountaineering all over the furniture, singing in the choir, writing books, cheeky grin, cricket.
And this is the son who walks in the mountains with his Mum too, who enjoys our adventures. The one who helps out at youth clubs when he is at home. The son away at university studying Forensic Biology. The one who can navigate me through Strasbourg (where I always get lost when driving.) Who loves helping out in his uncle's restaurant. So physically strong. Yet so incredibly gentle. What a wonderful combination.

He, like each of my children, is nothing like the adult I thought he would be. He is exactly as he was born to be. Unique. Wonderful. All fascinating to their mother. When they were small, I had an idea of what they may become, but the reality has been so different, and so exciting for me to witness. Their characters have grown, matured, changed, evolved. Their interests have done the same. They are all strong enough to make choices, and follow paths in different directions, and they all have the courage of their convictions to keep on those paths.

So now my job is done, in a sense, and I get to sit back and watch where those paths take them all. And that is wonderful. Just as long as they remember to send their mother a postcard now and then. Or email. Or text. Or any of those other electronic whatsits........

7 comments:

someone else said...

Your weekend sounds so very, very special. And David must certainly make a Mum proud. Happy Birthday to him!

Crystal said...

Happy Birthday, David! It's wonderful to reminisce and then marvel at the men and women that are our children. I'm so glad you are going to see him! Enjoy this celebration of another year and your time together. Happy Easter to you all!

Dawn said...

Happy Birthday, David. You sound like a great young man! We all love your mom and you as a part of her.

Linda said...

Happy Birthday David.
The years go by far too quickly Linds - I agree. But the great reward is the fine young adults those little ones grow up to be.
Your son sounds like a truly wonderful young man.

Vee said...

Oh it's going to be great fun to celebrate tomorrow! Hope that you will print this off for him to have. Lovely impressions you've created of your gentle giant..."mountaineering over the furniture," etc.

Pam said...

Happy birthday David. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

Mary said...

I love your heart. have fun with your son. Pass on my congrats for his 21st.