Thursday, April 07, 2011

In the garden......

The sun has shone brightly for the past 2 days, and, breaking all records, it was after 6pm when I actually switched on the computer today. I know. Unbelievable. Yesterday, I nearly tripped over my own feet trying to get outside as fast as I could. There was Stuff To Be Done, and plants to check and, oh the excitement of great weather and warmth......

I have been stuck indoors way too long, it seems. I am normal. I really am. Anyway, once outside, my neighbours, who were out in their garden too, decided that it was time to remove the entire fence from between out 2 houses, pending the arrival of their new fence in a couple of weeks. So, while I absolutely was not doing the digging and yanking, I was manning the wire cutters. Chopping through the fence. We all took turns, and everyone ended up with bleeding, blistered and bandaged hands. That old wire is tough stuff.

So we needed many rests. On their patio. Surveying "our" garden(s). It was a wonderful day, you know. Nothing exceptional. Just a lovely lovely day in the sun, in the garden, with great neighbours.

And exactly how great they are is illustrated by today's exploits.

The sun shone again, without the breeze of yesterday, and I was out early. So was my neighbour. It was his birthday, but bless his cotton socks, he power-washed my entire patio, before doing his own. It took all morning. His wife and I advised and assisted from the comfort of their patio chairs, armed with coffee and feet up. Well, I did get up and sweep the water away now and then. He also climbed the tall ladder and power-washed my bathroom windows. The man is a saint. He hates heights.

I am completely dazzled by the colour of the patio. I had forgotten it wasn't actually grungy grey. It is red/pink - the colour of the bricks. It lightens up the whole place. And I am very grateful indeed.

So this afternoon, I took the winter covers off the patio furniture, and it is back in place. And planted another tray or 7 of seeds. Watered. Weeded, and never stopped grinning. Beautiful weather, my garden, seeds, friends, coffee, and dreams of the summer and blossoms to come.....it doesn't get much better.

And tomorrow I may well be doing more of the same......I love Spring!!

9 comments:

Vee said...

Oh I hope that you are right back out in the garden puttering about. Hope that you have lots of vertical spaces because it sounds as if you are planting a lot of seeds. What a peach of a neighbor. What wonderful baking are you taking over?

Helen in Switzerland said...

That sounds like what I've got planned for the weekend! It's really great isn't it!!! I rather feel sorry for people who don't have gardens - yes they have less work, but gardens give so much pleasure and sanity to boot!

Anonymous said...

It sounds as if everyone's going to be out in their gardens. I think the blogs in the coming months are going to be chock-a-block with wonderful photos!

I can't wait!

Laurie in Ca. said...

I am so happy for you that you are getting Sunny Spring Days Linds. It is so good for the spirits and the soul to get down and dirty outside:) It is my most favorite season of the year and I share it with you over the miles here in Ca. in my heart. Your neighbors are a treasure and sound like such wonderful people:) And getting new fences from the other side of the yards is always a good thing:)

Love and Hugs, Laurie

Dawn said...

I keep trusting that we'll have two sunny, warm days in a row soon. We have sun often, but missing the warmth. But that's normal for us - soon it will just turn right on into summer.

Linda said...

Oh the blessing of good neighbors Linds. I love the picture of the two of you sitting with coffee and uplifted feet!
It all sounds lovely and beautiful. I love spring too!

Kelli said...

Sounds lovely! Here? Not so much. Snow, snow and more snow. I am so over winter. Snow, snow go away- come again, some other ... well, year.

Patti said...

We have had a couple of lovely spring days on this side of the pond. What joy to be outside. I worked outside for about 3 hours today. Sure hope I am able to get out of bed in the morning. Was a long winter of sitting!!

Gillie said...

My first English spring for 22 years and I am LOVING it! Such nice neighbors and I'm sure he was so happy to receive that valuable advice from you both! Look forward to pictures.