I got out my camera and took 2 photos of the new curtain in place. And then I dropped the camera on the tiled floor. And it is broken. I am in such a foul mood right now, I don't know whether to burst into tears or go and kick something.
And now, because I am in a Grumpy Old Woman mood, we will have a list of "I remember when" sort of things..... feel free to add any you think of as well.
I remember when:
- People held doors open for each other
- Children and men/boys stood up for women on trains and buses automatically
- It didn't cost over £60 to fill my car with petrol
- Nobody would dream of swearing in public
- Politeness and respect were the norm
- Life was lived at a slower pace
- People smiled more
- Discipline was not a problem in schools
- Vegetables and fruit were seasonal - I loved waiting for the first oranges!
- Stay at home Mums were in the majority
- Boys did not wear jeans below their rear ends
- Phones were attached to the wall, and definitely left there when you went out
- The world was not open for business 24 hours a day
- TV did not exist (South Africa only got it is the early 1970s)
- Instamatic cameras were revolutionary
- 99% of cakes were homemade
- Good Friday was a public holiday
- School sport was compulsory
- The VHS/Beta debate
- Black and white TV
- Children stood up whenever an adult visitor entered the room (at home and at school)
- Hanging up pillowcases (instead of stockings) on Christmas Eve until I was 20. Well, I hung it up and it got filled. Why would I stop? Unfortunately my husband did not feel it necessary to keep filling it. Sigh.
- Leaded petrol was the only kind on sale
- And, while on the subject of petrol, I remember when you drew up into the petrol station, and someone came to fill the car, clean the windscreen and check the oil. WHERE ARE THEY NOW?????
- My sister flushed a dissected frog (a Platanna)down the loo and it got stuck. But that is a story in itself.........