Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Sun and fun in the garden....

The weather has been stunning. Sunny warm days and clear blue skies. Perfect gardening days, and the garden centres are full of people and the recession seems to be a long way away. (Unless you listened to the Budget for the UK today - totally depressing, let me tell you.)

Back to the garden centres. A friend and I popped along to visit the brand new Garden Centre which has opened in the next village, on Monday, and it was a total delight. Especially when we discovered that the restaurant areas (indoors with lovely leather couches, in an atrium, and outside on lawns) are all waiter service. Sigh. This is very rare here in the UK, let me tell you, and I just love it. It makes going out for coffee a real treat. Not to mention the fruit scones just out of the oven. I do believe I will become a regular. A very regular visitor.

I am old enough to remember a time when all restaurants had waiter service, and self-service was a new fangled idea. And now, given that I am walking with either a crutch or a stick, balancing a tray at the same time is a non starter. So this was a lovely discovery. Perfect for all our mothers as well, as we discussed while sipping our coffee. On the couches.

This garden centre also has a wonderful butchery and fresh produce market, and their cheese counter is amazing. The plants aren't bad either! So that was great. So great that I was back there again this morning with another friend for more coffee and another fruit scone. It is my civic duty to spread the word, after all. Never mind the spreading of the hips.

My seeds are all growing beautifully. My little greenhouse is full of green things, and so are the window-sills in the house as well. I do love spring. And, the apple tree is now covered with blossom. So the outside is doing just fine. Indoors is another matter altogether.

Diana is arriving soon for a few weeks holiday, and I would actually like her to be able to walk in the door and think that the house was nice and organised. Mind you, she may just think she is in the wrong place if that were to happen. Everywhere I look, I see things which need to be done. I need a cleaning lady. It is just impossible for me to climb onto the counters and clean the top of the windows and other such things. But I have to say that cleaning ladies would also refuse to do those things too.

I just have too much stuff. Stuff. It is everywhere. So I look at it in the morning, and then hobble outside and play with the plants instead. I really need to have a plan. Maybe I should finish reading that book I got ages ago - From Clutter to Clarity. I think I read a chapter and then sort of got distracted. I clearly need the discipline, and a whole lot of clarity if I want to lose some of the clutter.

Oh well. Tomorrow is another day, and guess what....it is going to be sunny yet again!

12 comments:

Laurie in Ca. said...

Though we are many miles apart, I am on the same page with you. Beautiful sunny warm days, puttering in the garden instead of de-cluttering the inside of my house. The outdoors is so much more forgiving and appreciative of all we do. I hope you have been feeling good and taking care not to overdo it. Just enjoy Spring, I sure am.

Love and Hugs, Laurie

Rosaria Williams said...

You are definitely in Spring mode. Don't overdo it. Spring can wait until you are ready.

Dawn said...

Spring has finally arrived here, too. I posted some pictures of being outside - Feisty planting her own little garden and the twins enjoying the grass and the flowers.

When I'm at a self-service place with all the girlies and the stroller, someone behind the counter usually offers to help. I think you should ask for help if they don't offer it. Shame on them!

The new place sounds wonderful.

Sandra said...

I just love Spring too. I agree with lakeviewer though, don't overdo it :)

Janine said...

Enjoy the sunny weather. We have rain and thunder today and winter is definately approaching.

Diana Langdon said...

But I can cleeeeeeeeean

Dawn said...

Hey, it was nice to see your drop by today. I didn't know you kept up with Kristen on Facebook - I'm glad. I haven't succumbed to that obsession yet, though I seem to be missing out! She just told me last evening when I dropped the big girls home after church that Katie had taken off running - I haven't even seen her walk yet! She only seems to do it at home. Maybe tomorrow. I can't wait. It's hard enough now keeping up with them crawling - you should see us at the library story time, me trying to keep them in the room. Riotous!

It's another beautiful spring day and my cold is worse rather than better, so the gym doesn't seem to be in my plans. I think I'll soak up Vitamin D outside and read books. If I can keep DC from wanting to clean the dungeon!

Vee said...

Lots of blogging buddies are on the decluttering trip and I know that I should join you all. Sigh. Must get off the computer!

Mary said...

I have no plans for a decluttering exercise - more is the pity!

Needled Mom said...

"Clutter through clarity".....I like that thought.

I wish we had a garden center like yours near us. It sounds like a one stop shopping experience.


Diana will just enjoy her visit with you and not worry about the neatness. So should you!!! As I have said for years, "If you are coming to visit please stop by anytime, but if you want to see my house, please call ahead."

Crystal said...

Can I come and stay with you???? It's snowing here again!!! I would love to visit a garden center - they haven't even re-opened around here yet. I would love to join you for scones and tea - please mark this down as a place to take me when I get there. :))

((( HUGS ))

someone else said...

Your coffee place sounds like something I would totally enjoy. I know you're going to have such a great time when Diana arrives!