Friday, January 01, 2010

I am learning.....

Well. This morning, I decided that Today Was The Day I learned how to crochet. So, armed with the 99p magazine Glynis bought for us both which promises to teach us to be experts (after heaven knows how many issues at a great deal more than 99p each and to the tune of around £300) I had a go at it. I may well be stopping at issue 1. Or 2. Maybe 3.

And after fumbling my way through the "how to get started" bit, and trying to work out where the wool in my left hand actually goes without being too tight or too loose, I managed a little square. I learned how to chain, and do slip stitch and double crochet. They even supplied the wool and the crochet hook. I know it has mistakes and a few holes, but it was MY FIRST ATTEMPT!!
And then I scrounged around in Mother's cupboard and found a ball of wool and tried a larger version. I am now as blind as a bat, because I had the hook and wool so close to the eyes to see what I was doing that I gave myself a headache. And the world is blurry. And yes, the pink version also has mistakes, but I am getting there. I am intent on making stars and ripples and fun things as soon as possible. I did tell you that the patience needed more work, didn't I! So I am On a Mission. Keeping the tension even is hard!

So that is how the first day of 2010 has been spent. I was too busy trying to get it right to cook, so we had breakfast for supper, aka egg and bacon.

This bears no relation to the post I intended writing. Tomorrow. If I can see straight by then.

5 comments:

Vee said...

Would you please whip me up about four dozen crocheted snowflakes for next Christmas's tree? LOL!

It's going to be fun to watch your progress through the year. Keep up the good work!

Midlife Mom said...

I admire your ability to learn to crochet from a book! I am one who has to be shown rather then follow directions when it comes to something like crocheting. Good job!

The foods in my last post that you were drooling over, haha, were sweet potato casserole, orange salad, stuffing from the bird and squash fresh this fall from the garden. Oh how I need to go on a diet. I'm finding I fit better into things with a W on the size now. :o( Does that W mean 'wide'?

As always I enjoyed your last few posts. You sure have a way with words and say things that I think but can't seem to put into words as nice as you can. Well done my friend!

someone else said...

Well, good for you!! That's how I learned many years ago -- from a book. It looks like you're off to a great start. I wish we could sit and crochet together and chat. and have coffee. and chat.

Crystal said...

Congrats to you!! When I come to visit - or you come to visit me! - will you please teach me?? Everyone's making such cute hats and scarves and other stuff these days. You are going to have another great creative pastime to fill your days! I was thinking that I need to learn before arthritis creeps into my fingers! The eyesight may be another problem for me too!
((( HUGS )))

LG said...

I love crocheting, not necessarily an expert but maintaining control of one stitch as opposed to the 200 odd with knitting works better for me. I have started crocheting the long awaited bed blankets for my two girls, it is slow going inbetween my other busy life stuff like work, but by end 2010 I should have at least one blanket down - I'm making square blocks of flowers and then joining them...have fun with your new craft and well done for trying something new...

LG