Saturday, September 25, 2010

Old friends.........

Old friends - what can I say....

You know, it is one of life's greatest pleasures when you catch up in person with old friends. And within 10 seconds, it is as if you had seen them just last week. I have spoken of the friendship I have shared with Linds in New Zealand many times, and I can't emphasise enough how thankful I am that we are friends. Emails and calls keep us in constant touch, and then the times when we can sit at a table together and chat just happen to be the icing on the cake.

There was plenty of icing on the cake last night, as we sat and chatted over dinner out at a lovely restaurant. She and her husband were on a whistle-stop tour of the country before going to the Ryder Cup later in the week, and oh, how I loved seeing her. We fall into the friendship category where you could spend the morning together, and find reason to chat on the phone at least 4 times later in the same day. At length. You know the kind. Special. Very special. Our husbands never did quite understand the necessity for the calls. I remember the rolled eyes and grins well. But we are women and these conversations were important. And come to think of it, not once in nearly 40 years have we run out of things to say, to discuss and to debate. Not once. I see no chance of that ever happening!

Sigh.

So it was lovely.

The cradle is back on the counter with another coat of paint drying, and there is a pot of tomatoes, peppers and onions bubbling away on the stove. That is it for today. I am not doing another thing. It is what I call hot cross bun weather. Icy wind blowing, and it is a " curl up under a blanket with a hot drink and a good book" type of day. Definitely autumnal.

And that is exactly where I am heading....to the couch. Have a lovely weekend, everyone!

4 comments:

Dawn said...

This is what it was like to be with my cousin, Ann, this week, though we haven't kept in dailyor weekly touch - it's seamless when we're together. Lovely, as you say.

LG said...

Such friends are rare and wonderful to hav...enjoy every moment and phone several times if you have to!!

Have a great week, may the weather be kind to you...

LG

Pam said...

I do know. Lovely!

Fran Hill said...

Hot cross bun weather is a great way to describe it!