Monday, April 28, 2008

Nothing much to say

One more thing about the things kids say to me on a daily basis....I have been told to ignore what they say. I will apparently get used to it. No. Absolutely no way. I will never get used to it, because it is fundamentally wrong, and I will not become part of the population which accepts this kind of treatment as normal. Never. I have no desire to be a part of a society which condones, through silence, verbal abuse. I do not want to get used to it. It is wrong.

I am just back from book club. What a delight to sit among friends, and discuss books. Literature. Interesting views and insights into new and wonderful stories, by talented authors. THIS is the civilised world, people. I fit in better here. Among friends who smile with their eyes. Laugh and chat, listen and care.

And now my brain is too tired to function any more, so I am off to crawl into my bed. Sleep is what I need. I will be back.

7 comments:

Needled Mom said...

Sooo glad that you got to have some fun at the book club.

I agree with you on what kids say. I still think they should be taught better.

Have a great week.

Dawn said...

I haven't seen you around my place lately - hope things are okay! I totally agree with you - what is frightening to me is that there will not be civilized book club meetings when these kids get to be our age, because they will not know how to read and think!!

Vee said...

It is wonderful to talk with intelligent, friendly adults.

Couldn't agree more with your take on verbal abuse. It should never be condoned.

It's time for Revival. I can't see anything less working.

Anonymous said...

What book are you reading at the moment? I just can't find one that keeps the light burning all night. As for the verbal abusers -I figure the louder and uglier the young person is in their verbal abuse the needier they are to be truly heard. Ignoring their disrespect is a way of ignoring their hurts. Mind you, if you don't have your full armour on you will get wounded. Oh, and by the way I tried another do - it - yourself job today. You remain inspirational. lol

Carole Burant said...

Dearest Linds,

Like you, I refuse to ever get use to the way young people talk these days...there is absolutely no excuse for such verbal abuse. It truly saddens me when I hear them...then I just want to go over to them and shake some sense into them! lol

Glad you had such a lovely time at the book club. It's wonderful when we can find a group we're so comfortable with:-) xoxo

Barb said...

How ironic to read this here today, Linds. Just this morning, the thought popped into my mind that people don't teach their children manners like they did when you and I were growing up. It's a long story, but the thing that made me think of it is that my daughter IS teaching my grandson Cameron manners and it's so nice to know he's going to be a better person for it.

Sleep well. I could use a little extra sleep right now too. :-)

Crystal said...

My book club is meeting this week too! It's always a fun evening with a different mix of people. I'm curious to know what you are reading next. We need to pick again.

Manners and discipline - it's so difficult when the schools must teach what parents don't! I would not be able to ignore it either. I always expected/demanded better - and got better from my students.