Monday, April 21, 2008

A pleasant surprise

That went well.
I am losing my mind yet again.
I set off for school, and got there at 7.45am, and was a little befuddled to see no cars in the carpark. That would be because today was a training day and I was an hour early. I had absolutely no idea we were having a training day. However, I am happy to report that school is great when there are no children on the premises. In fact, we all think they should be banned. For ever.

I woke at 4am. This was not a good start to the day. Yesterday, I managed to dislocate my big toe while walking on uneven ground, so it is 4 times its normal size, it hurts, and I am hobbling like a crone. And I woke early, after tossing and turning all night, because the duvet hurt the toe. And also because I didn't want to go to school. I decided the toe was yet another sign that was shouting Stop! Don't go to work! But I rose above such feelings and toddled off. Early. Ridiculous.

Because I have a lot of marking at catch up on, I have been lugging folders all over the place today, and that was also not a good idea. I can feel my chest. I am definitely going to have to modify my actions at school. I will take a shopping trolley thing in tomorrow. And will no doubt be forever known as the bag lady, but I can live with that. If I were to be completley truthful, I think I am back at work a little early. I didn't expect to feel any pain any more. I just have to be careful.

So now I am off to look at folders. They are sitting on the coffee table. Coffee. I mentioned coffee......


Carole Burant said...

Dearest Linds,

I am so sorry for being so lax at commenting that the weather is beautiful, I've been spending most of my time outside so it's really cut into my blogging visits! lol

It's no wonder you felt so confused when you got to school! lol All children should be banned from there's a concept! hehe

Oh dear, it certainly does sound like you're back at work before you were ready enough...I think it's a good idea to carry those folders in a cart instead of lugging them around. Hey, get yourself a little red wagon to pull behind you! lol

You take good care of YOU!!! xoxo

Vee said...

Awww, Linds, how do these nasty things keep happening to you?!

But yay about a day at school with no children.

You may not believe this, Linds, but the snowpile is down to the place where I believe it actually could melt before midnight, my time, of course...six and a half more hours!

Keep your fingers crossed or pray, whichever works best for you in situations of chance like this. :D

Kelli said...

What a day you're having- the good with the bad. Sorry about the toe. I know how the not sleeping thing is ....

I hate to say, but the word "crone" cracked me up. I actually laughed out loud at th mental picture.

Can we still be frineds?

Crystal said...

My worst fear was that I would go to school late on the first day back after a break! It never did happen to me but I saw a few colleagues get caught.

I hope the toe is better soon - and that all the marking gets accomplished quickly. Too bad real life has to be full of so many unpleasant tasks!

Dawn said...

Oh, my goodness, Linds. What a day. Early is better than late, I guess. But waking up at 4 for no reason - yuck!

I know exactly what you mean about school being a great place without kids. When I first worked at the middle school, I was there for a week or two before the kids came - it was a great place! Then school started. Oh, my word. I was not made for working in a middle school! I survived and endured for 3 1/2 years before I walked out of there, never to look back, and got this job at the university.

I truly feel for you! And the toe. Awful!

Janine said...

You made me laugh. Went off to my UNISA tutorials on Saturday and wondered why I could't see any faces that I recognised. Yes, I was an hour early! Got out of bed at 7 instead of 8. Wasn't amused.
Sounds like you are in the wars at the moment. Hope the toe heals quickly. Looking forward to having coffee with you soon. X

Unknown said...

Poor Linds, My Rx for fixing that toe is to crawl back in bed and cover up your head, while sticking the sore toe out from under the covers and go back to sleep for as long as it takes to feel better.

Hope you are back to your old self soon.

Anonymous said...

G'day from down under

I left you a comment this morning but it doesn't appear to have made it onto your blog. I hope I didn't offend you with the 'Drama! drama! drama!' comment?

Just in case it got lost or I typed in the wrong code, I'll repeat my gem.

Which was ... feel free to steal my
trolley name - C.O.W (classroom on wheels). I decorated my cart (I actually used one of those cute little mini suitcases on wheels)with cow names and figurines and whatever 'cow-ish' thing I could find. I figured it was better
to plead 'eccentricity' than 'old bag lady'. Have fun.

Anonymous said...

Dear Linds,

so sorry to hear that your pain continues, and what's more...the toe! Do you think that all of this could be coming from your dislike of the present job that you have? Right now could be a good time to get your resume together and start looking again for a better that doesn't inflict pain from within your body. You're making yourself sick with that job. Just my opinion..
I've really come to respect and care for you in an internet sort of way. You need to work...may as well spend your work day in an atmosphere that isn't so stressful.
I made the change and it has been very good for me. I guess I'm imposing my experiences on you. Hope you feel better soon. Vicky

Needled Mom said...

Oh dear, does not sound like you are having fun. Pain in the toe is expected after an injury, but NOT the chest again!! I would definitely carry the trolley with me if I were you - laugh or not.

Hope you feel better and get a little sleep.

Barbara said...

Sorry about the toe and do take it easy when you can.