Monday, August 11, 2008

Harvest!


Harvest time! Well, in a very small way really. Very small. Very.

But harvest none the less!

I have PICKED AND EATEN the first red tomato in my garden! I have watched it ripen over the past week and had to slap my fingers away more than once, and then last night, I ate it. Bliss. There is nothing quite like the taste of a freshly picked tomato. Or a freshly picked anything, come to that. Especially the very first one of the season. That is special. Growing your own food is the most wonderful thing, and why on earth have we moved away from the tradition of centuries? Millennia?

We have had broad beans, courgettes, peas, and lettuce so far. We are way behind you lot in the States, I think. The crops are growing, but if there was just a smidgen of sunlight, I think they would go beserk. So would the nation. Everyone seems to think that Autumn is early this year. Like right now. My apple tree is laden. The beans are doing well. The peppers are looking good. Small, but good so far. The herbs are great.

I read all about your canning, preserving, freezing etc, and think....hmmm. I may get round to this in October at the rate things are growing here. There is so much in the allotment at the moment, growing slowly, and we have plans for autumn planting too.

So here we are in the 3rd week of our school holidays. Halfway through already. To be quite honest, it has not seemed like a holiday. More like time spent in a waiting room, with too many restrictions on my movements. And have I used this time wisely? I don't think so. I should have managed it better. Frustration levels are very high today.

I have this weird sense that I am on the cusp of something. And that I could fall either way - backwards or forwards. I have no idea where the feeling has come from, but at the moment, I am swaying about in the breeze. You may well think I have lost my mind. You may be right.

So for the next few days, I will be "being still" and listening.

18 comments:

Barb said...

I would love to have a vegetable garden, Linds. I'd have to rip up half the yard of course, which wouldn't go over very well with the property management company.

In the past, I've had huge gardens and I know they take a lot of time and work, but they're so worth it.

The best I can do is wait for the fresh produce to start showing up at local farmers' markets.

You still have three weeks. The first three have been a trial for you, all the waiting rooms and aggravation of mixed up appointments and whatnot. I hope you can enjoy these next three weeks although I know it's frustrating to be so limited in what you can do.

Just be kind to yourself and enjoy the rest of your holidays.

K said...

You're well ahead of us in the frozen (well, not frozen, but soggy) north. I have a tiny vegetable patch, and so far I have a few tomatoes, but not a hint of red.

We have had plenty of spinach, though, and sugar snap peas, and there are bean flowers if not actual beans. And chillis (on the window sill). And herbs in pots.

I agree that it's worth it, even when you wait until December to pick tomatoes (that happened last year) and your courgettes get completely eaten by slugs. I do like growing things that produce something.

Crystal said...

We are coming home through the Okanagan this week and bringing fresh peaches and tomatoes. It's going to taste so good!! Your peppers look lovely. I hope it all matures well and you enjoy every bite.

((( HUGS ))) as you contemplate and reflect this week.

Sandra said...

If only I could grow a garden, you guys with all your fresh homegrown veggies are making me so jealous.

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Most tomatoes are almost finished bearing for the season here. It's already time to plant some of the Fall garden stuff here. Weird differences in our growing seasons from here to there....

I understand about your feelings. Feels like you're at turning point in your life, eh? And you don't even really know WHAT turning point. Been there, my friend.

Time to just be still and wait on Him.

Love and hugs,

Diane

Dawn said...

WE have had one lonely tomato so far, but there are quite a few on the vines - sometimes it takes until practically the first freeze before they are ready to eat. But it's been so hot this year, you'd think they would hurry up. The girls planted some carrots with Grandpa - hope they come around soon!

Judith said...

Thinking of you across the ocean. I look at your homegrown fresh veggies, and only wonder what I did wrong with my own. Am glad you're having success in the garden. Helps keep the mind off other concerns.

You are really good at taking those pictures. My favorites are the flowers with dew or raindrops on them.

At A Hen's Pace said...

Oh, enjoy those tomatoes! My parents gave us a bunch when I was home to the farm for a visit, and we're having BLT's for dinner tonight!

I'm praying just now for you, on the cusp...

May the winds of the Holy Spirit gently blow you forward--and may that knee support you as you step that way!

Blessings--

Jeanne

Prixie said...

oh the veggies sound divine! i hope your intuition soon reveals itself

Needled Mom said...

There is nothing like the taste of that first tomato. I am almost glad that they are a seasonal crop just so that I never grow weary of that first bite. Even the hothouse tomatoes do not duplicate that sweetness.

Glad that the MRI is behind you. When will you get the results?

Enjoy the Olympics. I remember watching many equestrian events when we were living in England. I still love seeing those very impressive horses performing what they are capable of doing.

Patricia said...

Well, your tomatoes and peppers look delicious! And what satisfaction to know you grew them yourself!
Paricia

Pam said...

I don't care for tomatoes but that cusp sounds exciting.

Susie said...

Hi Linds,
I've just been catching up on your news and can understand why you might feel as though you are on the cusp of something.
A few quiet days to contemplate might ease your mind.
Our garden is producing nicely and I'm trying to put some bits and pieces in the freezer for the cold weather months. If I only had a few more hours in the day and didn't have to hobble, I'd be much more productive!!
xo

zztop357 said...

I think I could eat tomatoes everyday.The first one is just a taste of whats to come.Most everything here is about over.Next comes pumpkins and apples and pears.Then greens of all kinds.
Its still dry here, but the temps are down in the 80's.It was over a 100, so this feels cool to us.
God bless Linds, I hope robo knee is helping some.
Donna

meggie said...

We have such poor soil, clay in fact, we live close to the salty ocean air, we get little rain....
The list of excuses goes on. I can remember our grandparents' wonderful garden. True, the soil was perfect, but this could be made fertile, if we only took the time.
I have even tried pots, with little luck.
I guess my heart & soul are not there, or I am sure it would be a success...

Mary said...

Thinking of you. Tomato looked yummy.
Well done!

Miss Notesy said...

I'm enjoying my garden too. My cherry tomatoes are going wild and I didn't even plant them, they came up from last year's rotten tomatoes that dropped off the plant. Now the things I DID plant? Not doing so great...

Enjoy!

Margaret Cloud said...

I had a vegetable garden only once in my life time, I mean it really turned out great I had ten feet sunflowers and all kinds of vegies, then we moved in town and no room for a garden. Stopping by to say Hi.