Sunday, March 18, 2012

Mothering Sunday.................

It is Mothering Sunday here in the UK - our Mother's Day, and this year, thankfully, it did not coincide with the moving of clocks, because most years, we start the day with one hour less sleep. This is not a good way to start the day celebrating mothers, you understand, because we all know mothers need sleep. But our clocks only advance next week. Oh, the relief. 

So, given the absence of all sundry offspring around these parts, I got up early, made coffee (in the cup my daughter gave me) and a cinnamon roll (I ate it before I thought of photos) and chatted to youngest son on the phone. I also spoke to MY mother, because she has managed to put up with my sister and me for more than half a century. Hah. She must love us too. (Just kidding, Mum - we know you do!)

 And then I went to church....with a great deal of trepidation, I assure you, after the last memorable episode. However, with feet on a cushion, sitting on a padded cushion with a padded back, the vibrations were manageable. Not good, but I did not fall down in a heap. During the singing, I moved to the stone floor, stood on the cushion and the stick was on the cushion too to keep me standing. The knuckles may have been white, and the singing minimal, but I coped. High notes tend to be verrrrrry challenging for me to hear. That means,, Becky, that Zadok may not be something I will manage. Church bells didn't fare too well either,. but I went. I survived.
 And I was invited to have lunch with friends of mine, so that was good. The babes, who are now 10 and 8 (the twins) brought down piles of their books for me to see - and there was lots of fun and laughter and working out of lateral thinking puzzles over the delicious lunch.

I stopped to take the photo above on the way home - aren't the blossoms beautiful?
 And the hyacinths are gorgeous in the fleeting bits of sun. The sun has appeared and disappeared randomly every few minutes today. One minute the rain was thundering down and the next, the sky was blue and the sun shining. Rinse and repeat all day.
And this is the beautiful card my older son sent me. Just lovely. I skyped with them this evening and watched Missy tidy up a bit and eat some chocolate cake before she went and joined her Daddy at the computer. She had "Verk" to do, you see.

So ....... Mother's Day. Being a Mum. What does that really mean?

It means that motherhood is a lifetime career. It doesn't stop when your children fly the nest. It doesn't stop when they are 35, 31, or 23. I may not see my children every day, but I think of them, worry about them, love them and wonder about them every single day and night of my life. They are, and always will be, a part of me. Maybe the best part of me.

They amaze me, astonish me, amuse me, surprise me, fill me with pride, annoy me and drive me round the bend. And cause my hair to go grey. They are human. So am I. Ask any of them and I am quite sure they will say that I annoy them and drive them around the bend too.

But let's go back to the love part. I love them. I will always love them, no matter where they are or what they do. I cannot begin to imagine life without them colouring it - an exciting kaleidoscope of colours - bright, beautiful glorious colours. But with shades of darkness as well. That is the nature of life. Peaks and troughs. Rhythm.

They are the reason I can celebrate Mother's Day. They are the delights of my life. My children. Andrew. Diana. David.

Happy Mother's Day to all the Mums celebrating today!

4 comments:

Vee said...

Happy Mother's Day, Linds!

I must say that there are few mothers who could say it as well as you do.

Found the description of your church experience this week very interesting. So you carry around cushions and foam and such to protect yourself from the vibrations and sopranos and pealing bells, etc. I'm glad that it has helped.

Missy is so cute...verk to do. Me, too.

Needled Mom said...

Happy Mothering Day to you!

I am so glad you survived the church outing this morning. I know there were many grateful people there too.

The flowering trees are just gorgeous!!!!

Crystal said...

It's so beautiful in your part of the world already! We are 2 months behind you :(

I'm glad you got to go to church and that it was bearable - what a tragedy if you had to stay home. Happy Mother's Day to you - you really are an amazing woman, mother and grandmother!

P.S. Is your Mom with your sister?

Dawn said...

The trees are so beautiful. We had such a nice springlike week last week, but this week not so much so far.

So glad you were able to speak to everyone on the special day, and that you were able to survive the music at church - that is just so sad that it causes you such anguish! Is it because of drums and loudness?