Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A quiet day in Middle England......

When I woke this morning, it was to the news of the dreadful coach accident in Switzerland - 22 children dead and 6 adults, and 24 injured. I cannot begin to imagine the devastation for the villages in Belgium where the children came from - their families - their schools. They were on their way home from a school ski trip. You can go here to read about it. Just tragic. Unbelievably tragic.

It makes the grey cold day it is greyer and colder, if you see what I mean. And I don't know if the waves of feeling are the cold, the CRPS or the shudders of horror. A mix of all of them, perhaps. A grey day.

Aqua is cancelled because they are cleaning the pool. How inconvenient. The classes are hard, but I just love them - the teacher, the ladies, and the good kind of ache it leaves. I feel that I am doing as much as I can to promote healing when I crawl out of the gym, you see. Yes - it is tougher than I say, but no-one can say I am not trying. So it is very inconvenient to have the class cancelled. Humph.

I started yet another ripple last night, because I didn't feel like doing the knitting. I have a prayer shawl which has been half finished since last summer, but I am not in the knitting mood right now. So I went through the photos of Scotland taken over the years, to try to get the colours right. Scotland, no matter when I get there, always makes me talk about the colours - greens through browns, beige and the purples of heather. Muted, yet beautiful. So I raided mother's stash (again) and found some and I think it will work. I have no idea where it will go or what I will do with it, but it will keep the hands busy and the legs warm as I work on it.
These are some of the colours which represent the countryside of Scotland to me
I think it will work out well. I have always described the fields of Scotland as corduroy - I see things in textile textures. Weird. Yes. And yes, I should make a quilt, but hmmm....there is the problem of sorting all the fabrics which means emptying the cupboards, which means sorting the sewing room to be able to GET to the cupboards, which means moving the boxes of David's stuff, my Stuff, and a zillion other challenges I am ignoring, so the yarn it is. The fabric stash busting can wait till I muster strength. One day.

Being creative can be complicated. Having a creative mind means keeping things others would toss out. Tickets, cards, bits of paper, card, lace, ribbon, programmes, cuttings from papers. There are scrapbooks to be made, photos to sort, memory books to assemble, Easter, Spring, Autumn, Christmas decorations to make, cards to create, paper art to experiment with, wood work, paint, embroidery....you see? I have STUFF. And I haven't started on the inspiring ideas I get from the Internet yet. Or the seeds or the beads and buttons, or the ancestry digging or the ......

Sigh.

The last bunch of daffodils I bought turned out to be cream - pretty but not yellow. The influx I had a week ago is on the way out - they don't last very long, so I need some more. I have to have daffs! Definitely a need and not a want. I think I may just pop down to the shop and buy some now. And then retire to the couch because it is cold. I can safely say that the heating needs to be on.

Oh - our Prime Minister is visiting the USA and on Sky news this morning, the reporter pulled up the PM's photo on his iPad and asked random people of all ages in Washington if they recognised him. The only one who did was a young student aged man. Interesting. Google David Cameron if you want to see what he looks like!

3 comments:

Needled Mom said...

I'll bet they would all recognize a photo of the Queen!

I heard about the bus accident when I got up this morning. That was dreadful. One cannot help but think of the families and the joy they were expecting of having the children home soon.

The yarn colors are gorgeous! It is definitely Scotland, especially the the heather colors.

Vee said...

This is the first I have heard of that dreadful accident. It is certainly sobering to see photos of that bus and to know the horrors within. A time for prayer...much prayer.

Yes, I understand, I understand it all...not feeling quite well enough to do all that needs doing to get to the projects that are crying out. And the being interested in so many different things. Chipping away is the best that can be hoped for just now...

Crystal said...

I only know who he is because he was on the news last night in a story about a curly, red-haired woman who once owned a newspaper and is now under arrest (at least I think that's what it was about!). Before that I had no idea he was your PM - I need to pay more attention, I guess.

I immediately thought of you when I heard about the accident this morning because of your time in Switzerland each year. Such a tragic end to a fun time for the students and their families.

I hope you found more daffodils - I need to find some for me too!