Sunday, December 07, 2008

Ostrich mode.....

I have not cleaned, tidied, wrapped, or sorted. I have been sewing. I ate egg and bacon for lunch because it was quick and easy, and I went to church this morning, even though there was a hard frost last night and everything was sheet ice. My achievement for the day was not falling. I lead such an exciting life.

I need to sort out when I am off to Switzerland too, and when I am returning. The brain is fried. You know that feeling where it is all just "too hard" and you want to be beamed up and plonked down somewhere without having to do anything about the getting there, the packing, the tickets and all the rest? Yes. That would be me right now.

I need to go and see my children down south. Unfortunately that does not include the one further south, down there at the bottom right hand corner of the earth. Sigh. I wish it did. And before I do that, I need to have all the presents sorted and wrapped and ready. And I have nothing ready. I am a BAD mother.

The Christmas spirit is sadly lacking in the Casa de la Rocking Chair at the moment. Sorry about that. In all honesty, I am weary. I just don't want to do any sorting or making things happen any more. I want a magic wand. Now would be good.

But Mothers cannot go on strike, or the world would cease turning. I have a list of pending things which would make the strongest of us weep and wail and gnash their teeth. And it would be so much easier to just sling everything in the car and set off but that won't happen because, as I have only managed to drive 10 miles so far, 1000 miles is a little too far at this moment. 990 miles too far, to be exact. Sort of. Round about. Roughly. Normally this would be a doddle. Bigger sigh.

So I had better go and sort the wrapping paper out. And actually wrap some things. And book flights. And remember physio tomorrow at dawn. And do an Amazon order (which is reasonable and NOT the £162.37 worth of goods I popped in my virtual basket a couple of night ago in a frenzy of excitement). And do the washing. And re-insert the wire innards of my underwear which saw fit to leave their designated homes. And vacuum. And find SOMETHING Christmassy to brighten up the abode.

Hey people, a knight on a white charger would be good about now.

19 comments:

Mary said...

He's virtually on his way - honest!

Needled Mom said...

Perhaps he can be found when you are internet shopping.... One can wish can't they?

I, too, have way too much wrapping and sorting to do here. It is all so time consuming.

And...NO...you are not a bad mother!!!!

Vee said...

Linds, I hear you. You express your feelings so well that I catch them. Okay, what's to be done for two overworked seamstresses like us? I don't know about you, but I'd like a long soak in a tub with some Christmas carols playing in the background or not. Keep looking up!

Carole Burant said...

Dearest Linds,

Finally taking the time to catch up with all your news...this weekend has been dedicated to visiting all my blogging friends:-) I so miss being able to visit everyone every day but with the Christmas rush on, I don't have time for the computer very much these days.

I'm so happy to hear that you'll be going to Switzerland, I know how much you love it there:-) It's exactly what you need, to clear your brain and just recharge those batteries!!

We always stress and worry that we won't get everything done in time but we always manage, don't we...then we wonder why we were so stressed out in the first place! lol

It's absolutely frigid here today, =18c as I type this. I was suppose to go get my tree but with these kinds of temps, I'm not setting foot outside! My car is plugged in but it probably still would groan and moan if I tried to start it. lol

Thinking of you!! xoxo

Pam said...

I wish I had bought any presents. Wrapping them is just a distant dream.

Glad you're getting to go to Switzerland. Wish you could pop down to NZ too.

Susan said...

Oh pray for him to come, that white knight.
Susan

Crystal said...

If I knew where he was, I'd send him your way!!

Wrapping - already! Goodness, I'm still in the creating stage. But I have everyone coming home this year so I don't have to mail things. Next year - and it will include baby things too! Perhaps after a good night's sleep it will all seem more manageable.

Do I read you correctly on Twitter when you say you got the Willow Tree Nativity set?!! Our daughter would love one but they are expensive here. Maybe I can find it in individual pieces and buy them over a few years. Back to the sewing machine I go - before the finale of Amazing Race comes on.

I hope your Monday goes smoothly and calmly :))

Diane@Diane's Place said...

I am so there with you, Linds. I have so much that needs to be done and I just couldn't be bothered to do any of it right now. Oh well, baby steps I suppose...

Good luck finding your gumption. I think mine is on extended holiday.

xoxoxo

Diane

Pam said...

Praying for your white knight to come quickly. Also tagged you for a meme. Come and see!

someone else said...

If I was a fairy godmother, I'd wave my magic wand and make everything perfect for you.

I'd also beam up a white knight and set him down in your garden.

Lisa Marie said...

Oh Linds you have such a way with words that makes me smile. I haven't thought about the wrapping because I have been down & out with a "bug" and have not made it into a store yet, so there is nothing to wrap!! So I better get over this thing quick so hubby & I can get some shopping done.
Glad to hear to have some exciting holiday plans, Switzerland would be lovely to visit, lucky you!

Dawn said...

I have everything decorated, but nothing to put under the tree. Not that I could anyway, because of those little rolling bundles of energy that want to be under there checking things out - or the big ones who want to open everything that's wrapped! Have you had a chance to come over and see the darlings??

I hope you get it all sorted out - traveling can be very taxing. But think of the final destination! Glorious thought.

Anonymous said...

"But Mothers cannot go on strike, or the world would cease turning." Amen, sister! We just keep the world spinning, don't we? Hoping your holiday spirit spikes in the next few days. Take care of yourself, as well!

Anonymous said...

I found you at Laurie's in CA new blog. Just popping in to say hi and I'll be back. BTW, our pastor and his family came to our church from Brighton, England. We love them! They have been with us three years and are beginning to get over the culture shock, but they have not adjusted to the food yet. LOL!

Sandra said...

I'm praying for your White Knight and hey, maybe he has a brother I could use LOL

Laurie in Ca. said...

Hey Linds,

A knight? On a white charger? He flew by me on my way to the mailbox last week. I didn't know you then or I would have tripped him and sent him to you. I should have started my blog long ago when my friends were bugging me. I just want to thank you for your visit and wish you a wonderful trip. I spend a lot of time on ebay, I will check for magic wands on there:) And most of all, welcome to Grannyworld!!! It is wonderful and magical and lasts year round. And you don't have to wrap it!!

Laurie

Laurie

Rita Loca said...

Thank you for your prayers.

Dawn said...

I came over to read about your royal funk (which my followers thingie showed me was here), and it's gone. You must have changed your mind, eh??

I hope things have changed for the better, or will soon!

Ashleigh Baker said...

Perhaps just turning on a favorite Christmas cd would brighten things a bit?

But I totally "get" your mood--been there quite a bit myself lately. I've been trying to climb out of it little by little. Sending hugs...