Saturday, December 06, 2008

The week flew by...

I have just eaten hot cross buns for lunch. With the pastry crosses on. No, you have not entered a time warp thingy, we can get Easter treasures in the food departments all year long. This rather takes the "special" out of eating them on Good Friday, of course, but the delicious-ness is delightful. So is the alliteration. And we will not mention the calories either. Cold days mean carbohydrates are essential. According to me.

I am supposed to be sewing. However, I am captivated by baby shopping sites on the web, and am very happy imagining my shopping basket, should I happen to win the lotto tonight. Sigh. Once upon a time, long long ago, staying out of the shops meant saving money. Now, I can just click the mouse and enter shops which make me drool in my own home. This is not good. Trust me. I am a first time Granny, and that does not bode well for my wallet, which appears to be anorexic.

Moving on.....

This week, like most weeks, has flown by. I went to a concert in our village last Sunday, performed by the local music society I usually sing with - Bach's Christmas Oratorio, which was excellent. Then there was book club on Monday, London and tennis at the Royal Albert Hall on Tuesday, recovering on Wednesday..... and so it went.

This year, 4 of us went to the tennis, the senior's master's tour, and we took the train to London and then a taxi to the RAH, because I would never in a million years have coped with the underground. As it was, I found sitting very difficult for long periods, and eventually gave up and started wandering round the corridors aimlessly, until a door-lady asked if I had a problem. When I told her the knee was misbehaving, she ushered me to the disabled section, right at the court-side, so I could stand and watch in comfort. Bliss. So that was great. And we saw London lit at night from the taxi on the way back to the station too. Believe me, London at night in the run up to Christmas, is very special indeed.

My friends were discussing the lack of Christmas lights yesterday. We have noticed that many people have stopped lighting the exteriors of their homes this year, and that has to be because of the massive increase in electricity costs. So it appears that it will be a dark Christmas this year around here.

Right. I am off now to sew. Wrap presents. Tidy the house. Clean. Do the exercises. All the stuff I am putting off on a daily basis. At least all the activity will keep me warm!

I will be back.

11 comments:

Judith said...

hot cross buns at Christmas is not right!!! lol but I agree London is beautiful at this time of the year especially as I only live 10/12 miles from the centre of london.. Judyx

Needled Mom said...

Online shopping is such an evil as well as such a blessing. Just think of all the petrol you save by shopping online!

It sounds like you had a busy, but wonderful week. I would imagine the lights of the city would be spectacular.

Have fun sewing.

Jeana said...

I remember the first time I had hot cross buns. A dear friend brought them to me and my kids. Do you remember?

Mary said...

The lights are starting to go up around here as well. Probably not as impressive as London - However, one young friend of ours (13 with M.D) has decided to light up his house this year - there is even an opening ceremony tonight (have to laugh). I will take a snap and send you a photo.

someone else said...

Oh, the lights in London in December!! We went one year just to hear Christmas concerts in London and had the most glorious week. The lights at night were soooo pretty.

Vee said...

One of my fond desires is to know the taste of a hot-cross bun one day!

Yes, the nights are a bit more dim here, too. I have usually had lights on myself, but not this year. We have to save where we can; although, I greatly appreciate those homes that a fully decked out. They seem extra special this year.

Sounds as if you've had some delights...London at night before Christmas...sounds heavenly! Even my little city at night before Christmas fills me with awe.

Take care, remember that babies have no clue what their gifts have been and older grands just love being with their grammies. It's just built in. :D

Crystal said...

WE only get hot cross buns here for about a month before Easter and there are even fewer companies that are actually making them now. I too long to see London before Christmas! Someday!!

I'm so glad to see that you are getting out and about and enjoying life more again. This is a great time of year to do it. And there are less houses with lights here too and they do give a lovely festive look to our village and the countryside. Have fun sewing, wrapping and shopping!

There are so many marvelous things for little ones! As a Christmas gift, we ordered a backpack carrier for our grandson and I know his Dad is going to be so excited and eager to take him hiking in the mountains this summer. I've made little art kits for the girls - a sketch pad, printed a coloring book from an online artist, crayon rocks made of soy and scented large pencils. I can hardly wait to see their excitement! Off to bake some cookies as we are greeters at church for the second Sunday in Advent tomorrow. I wish you could come over to taste test :))

Dawn said...

Sounds like a good week for you - the lights of London sound wonderful. I haven't notice a major loss of lights here in our town. Ours are not very great this year!

Come by and see the little package under my tree!

Janine said...

There is a house on Forest Drive that has the most spectacular Christmas lights - the whole front of the house is done up and it looks wonderful. Let's hope that it doesn't cause ESKOM to have another one of its famous crashes!

Anonymous said...

We have noticed that less people are decorating the outsides of their houses with lights here too. I think it is the bad economy. I got some LED ones that don't use much energy. The kids love lights and I wouldn't have the heart not to put them on for a couple hours every night.

Good luck with all you have to get done.

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

Awww, no lights? I'm so sorry people are so hard pressed, but I can certainly relate. It is SO sad because they point to the LIGHT who came into the world to dispel darkness. I do not have mine up yet, but I can't wait--they just won't be up as long as usual!