Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The photos at last....

An hour and a half. That is what it took to load these photos .....finally! I was about to abandon the idea, but then Blogger obliged at last. There are a lot of photos here, people, so if you have had enough of Swiss scenery, feel free to zoom to the end. My family are highly amused by my obsession with the camera. But I am trying always, to capture the moment, just in case I ever forget. But how could I?? Just look.....




If you click to enlarge the one above, you will see the new cablecar in the sky. And please note the little red trains! If ever you visit Engelberg, make sure you go there on the little red train, which changes to cogs halfway up the mountain, when it gets so steep. Magical. The BEST way to arrive! Just hop on in Luzern.


This was the longest walk I did..... to the Klostermatt, and the children (and adults) skiing in the village.


The new cablecar to Brunni leaves from the Klostermatt now. It opened while I was there...



The Kloster, a Benedictine monastery, complete with exclusive private school. The valley was discovered by monks way back and they built the monastery there, and so the village grew around it.


The view from the other end of the valley.
And this was what was behind me as I took the photo above.


That last walk I told you about? My favourite walk through the forest? Well, here we go again....




Remember how I mentioned "Look up"?? I did.

And here is the Grotto I walk to in the forest. This is where I come to light a candle. And usually there is no-one about. The peace is amazing. Indescribable.

And that concludes the Swiss tour. This time. I have been restrained, which is totally out of character. I could have posted 20 photos a day for the next 6 months. I just love this place, you see. No-one can be in any doubt of that fact.
In a sense, it was the perfect place for me to end this year. A year which has been challenging on more than one front, but that can wait. I hope you can feel a little of what I am talking about when I say I long to be there.
But, in the lounge next to me, sits my youngest son. He makes coming home worthwhile. Especially when I stagger through the door after a monstrous session of physio, and he leaps up and offers to make me coffee. Who cares about the piles of laundry???
Not me.




15 comments:

Crystal said...

I never tire of your photos - please feel free to share them for the next 6 months!! I would love to visit here with you one day. And I am amazed at all the walks - your determination to get your mobility back is admirable. Enjoy that son of yours - does he have to be back at school soon? And piles of laundry - they are here too!!

Laurie in Ca. said...

Beautiful, Beautiful and Beautiful. What a paradise for you to take in before this year ends. And you just reminded me that I was supposed to do a load of levis for my honey. Oops! I hope the memories that fill your heart last you until you have a chance to go back there again. Now you can look forward to that grandbaby that is on the way. You are going to love it soooooo much Linds, I promise. Have a wonderful night and New Years and relax. I love your visits and appreciate your encouragement. It means so much.

Love and Hugs, Laurie in Ca.

Susan said...

Truly beautiful!!!! I can see why you love it so.
Susan

someone else said...

Oh, what a magical trip!

Needled Mom said...

How could anyone be tired of that beautiful postcard perfect scenery? They are all just spectacular and mystical.

May 2009 be much less challenging for you, Linds. I wish you all the best. xox

Vee said...

Absolutely exquisite photos, which make me yearn for Switzerland. I can only imagine how you feel actually being there. Yes, I think I can get a clue.

Of course, the sons and the new grand will perhaps keep you tethered for a time, but it's not so very far away...they can travel, you can travel, there's a way.

Was the physio person happy with all the exercise you've been getting?

Lisa Marie said...

Absolutely stunning photos! Makes me want to plan a trip there. Thanks for sharing your wonderful holiday with us. Now go tackle that laundry pile...:)

Dawn said...

Spectacular! And I am so thankful that you have been able to walk so much. I have caught up on your posts and love the "look up" picture so very much. And the thought.

Leaving paradise is tough - especially with so much dirty laundry sitting on your chair! But I know that you would miss your kids and grandbaby-to-come if you moved so far away.

Blessings as you have your appointment FINALLY!

I am finally catching up!

Joyful Days said...

I am speechless!! There are no right words, but "Thank you for sharing!!"

Julie

Janine said...

Glyn has suggested that our family do Christmas in the UK in 2009 and spend New Year in Engelberg. I'll use these pictures to persuade Andrew - thanks! Have a great and safe New Year. XX

Theresa said...

You make snow look majestic. I actually am liking snow now.

Thank you for sharing all of this with us.

I pray that your New Year if filled with love and peace.

Midlife Mom said...

I was telling my Hubby about all your wonderful pictures and that some day I want to see it all in person! Just spectacular!

I used to iron my hair when I was in boarding school too!!! I can just picture it like it was yesterday when in actuality it was a gazillion years ago. lol! Lucky we both didn't burn every spear off our heads!!

Wishing you all the best in the new year Linds!

Unknown said...

Oh Linds, I can understand how you love this place so much. It is breath taking. Thank you for the pictures and probably the closest I will ever come to seeing these beautiful places.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Once upon a time, I wanted to visit Switzerland. :-) By now, I doubt will. But thank you for giving me a peek at this lovely country. Thank you so much.

Wishing you a Happy New Year. Yes, it will be a year to test all of us. May we survive it well and learn lessons from the unusual condition of 'having less.'

Somehow, past generations have survive this 'having less stuff' condition. I hope we learn to also.

Aunt Amelia
"We have had a lovely day. All the trees were covered with ice, and it shone like diamonds or fairy palaces," wrote Louisa May Alcott in her girlhood diary.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Breathtaking photos!