Saturday, December 20, 2008

Ski jumping World Cup....

Horses and carriages going round the village.....

The run-in slope is kept covered till they start.....

There is a little ant on this photo. It is a ski jumper flying down in the air.....

And it is only when you see them actually jump that you realise how far they go or how steep it is.......

See the little men flying??

That line at the bottom is a sort of target length for them to go before landing. Some did. Some landed half way up the hill. And they get to do it all again tomorrow. I will be there this time. What must their mothers be thinking?? My child flies down mountains with 2 long skis on his feet...... Poor women. I am sure they are all grey.

You can see closer up here......


I love this mountain. I keep taking photos of it. It reminds me of Devil's Peak in Cape Town. Ironically, it used to be called Engel Berg - Angel Mountain, after which the village is named. Now it is called Der Hahnen. I have no idea why, but I think they need to change it back again.

Back to that jump. The officials are inching down the slope sideways here, smoothing the landing area with their skis before the next round of jumps.


Oh...Simon Amann from Switzerland won today!

6 comments:

Vee said...

Doesn't that look scary! Yikes! It took me a long time to find the flying man, but I finally did.

Now I know why my gingerbread house has taken on a decidedly Alpine look. I've been looking at your pics from Switzerland! ;>

Hungry Hippo said...

Bump and I were ski jumping yesterday (on the Wii).

Jan said...

Oh Linds what a grand holiday you must be having! I haven't been making my blog rounds and what a delight to see all of the beautiful photos from Switzerland! Thank you so much for sharing them and enjoy!!

Mary said...

Easy Peasy!

I reckon - what - with - say - a different set of knees, a different back, a different pair of glasses, a different age - perhaps - I reckon I could tackle those slopes - CRIKEY!!!!

Crystal said...

I love seeing where you are and what's happening! Once we went up in the elevator to the top of the ski jump that was built in Calgary for the 1988 Olympics - and it was so, so steep. I have a whole new appreciation for the jumpers now. If I came, would we go for a horse and carriage ride?!

Needled Mom said...

I am so jealous. I would love to see the jumping in person as it is one of my favorite sports to watch on television.

Keep enjoying yourself and please keep sending us photos of the fun.