Monday, December 29, 2008

Far away from those Alps....

I am home. Apparently my son's uni gear exploded out of his bags when he arrived home. He is out, so is not here to explain why my entire lounge was littered with his possessions. Yes. Well. They are now in a heap out of sight. He will just LOOOOOVE his mother's return! I took one look in his room and shut the door.

But as I said, I am home. I have managed to download the photos, so tomorrow we will have a round up of the last 2 days or so of Swiss scenery. Sigh. The local scenery is somewhat different. The good news, now that I have waded through a huge pile of mail, which was 99% cards, is that I have my appointment in Bath! Yes!! It is on 12th January. I am so thrilled that I am going so soon. So that is exciting.

Right. I do believe I hear the washing machine calling my name. Judging by the heap of man sized things in front of it, it may well be working for a while. Oh, and the greatest disaster of the day, ignoring the fact that I have come home with all my sister's store loyalty cards in my wallet, is that I left my hair straighteners behind. This is NOT good. It is a total disaster in fact. Total disaster. You have no idea what I look like when the hair is not tamed. The wild woman of Borneo has nothing on me. When we were at uni, years ago, we used to either whirl our hair to straighten it (that mean you wind it round your head and stick a new pair of tights over the lot and dry it. Yes, it is just as weird as you are thinking right now. I know what picture you have in your mind) or iron it. That's right. Iron one's hair. Well, that is what hair straighteners do, isn't it?? They iron it flat. I can just see me with my head lying on the ironing board.

And on that perfect note, I will leave you grinning. I told you I could see you.

13 comments:

Joyful Days said...

Yes ma'am, I am grinning. I might have give you and the wild woman of Borneo some competition with the hair though--but I've not left my flat iron in another country. ;)

Climb the mountain of laundry slowly.

Julie

Mary said...

Ha ha ha ha, He he he he (more than a grin - I am chuckling!).

Welcome home.

Vee said...

You brought home your sister's store loyalty cards? That's the one thing I don't understand, but I can imagine.

I perfectly understand the wild woman of Borneo and the days of wrapping one's unruly long hair around the head and holding it down...I should've used panty hose...whyever didn't I think of that...but used bobby pins instead creating gazillion little indentations in the hair. Sigh. I was a wreck then and still am. LOL!

Guess your ds wasn't expecting you home quite so soon or else he was and split. ;>

Laurie in Ca. said...

I am so glad you made it home alright and in one piece. It will probably take you a week to settle back in after that wonderful trip. I enjoyed going along with you here. Speaking of hair, when I was a teenager about 45 years ago (yikes) I used to iron my hair on the ironing board so it would be straight. Since my cancer and chemo, my hair is curly and I am just fine with it the way it is. I look forward to seeing your pictures Linds, and am so glad your time there was simply magical.

Love and Hugs, Laurie

Pam said...

Welcome home!

Luanne said...

Welcome back to the real world Linds.

I got a kick out of your hair straightening methods. My hair was never curly enough to straighten, but my brother-in-laws often borrowed my MIL's new, in the package, support stockings to pull over the mop of curls they had.

Happy laundering.

Luanne

Olson Family said...

I had to laugh! Although I had my hair in a ponytail when we met, I have been sporting a smooth, straightened hair style. After 2 1/2 yrs of frizz in die Schweiz. I finally bought a Euro straightener 2 months ago. Why didn't I do it when I first gave up my US appliances.

I feel your pain. I am off to another foreign nation. I wish you a very Happy New Year!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Linds, I know exactly what you mean about winding the hair around the head and drying it. I used to do the very same thing and it does help to tame the wildness. Now I just keep it cut short.

Needled Mom said...

What unique techniques to straighten one's hair. I do have strange visions.

Glad that you have a date set for Bath.

Welcome back.

Linda said...

Glad you're home safely Linds - dirty laundry to greet you and all.
I absolutely understand winding and ironing. I did that too. Wouldn't we have killed for flat irons in those days?

someone else said...

Welcome home! I remember the days of ironing one's hair to straighten it. I never had to iron mine, though, because it was stick straight!! I always wished for curly hair. sigh

Theresa said...

I'm so glad you're home safe and sound. And I remember me and my sister ironing our hair on the ironing board.

Unknown said...

I never heard of whirling ones hair. I have however ironed my hair though. Why I will never know because my hair has always been straight as an arrow anyway. I guess it just wasn't straight enough to suit me. Go figure, I was a teenager. Welcome home Linds!