Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas evening.....

It is dark here.....it is nearly 5.30pm, and soon my sister will be home from work. Yes, on Christmas day. This is a ski resort, and today is one of the busiest days of the season. And my brother-in-law will not be home before 1am, because he too is at work in his restaurant. That is just the way things are here! However, we had a lovely meal at the restaurant last night, before coming home with friends, to open presents.

Well, I only wanted to open one present last night, because my family does the present opening thing on Christmas morning, and Christmas eve seems all wrong to me! This morning, my daughter, in NZ, managed to get on MSN with her brother, who then got her other brother to get on line with me here in Switzerland, activate all cameras on the laptops in the UK, and Diana and I spoke on the phone for over an hour, watching the boys and Ann open their presents, not to mention sing a rousing rendition of The Winner Takes it All from Singstar on the PS3.......in stereo (computer and phone). They belted it out in the UK and Diana and I sang along in Switzerland and NZ. Diana and I were typing our comments and requests, and Andrew and David had their laptop fonts on huge so they could see what we were saying. Sigh. My family is crazy. But it was the total highlight of the day. Total!

And next Christmas, there will be Bump to add to the mayhem too. But you know, being away from your children on Christmas day just feels all wrong. I absolutely love being here, believe me, and I adore my family here, but my kids.....well, they are MINE. You know? Never mind that they are all adults now! I foresee much travelling for my future Christmasses (huh? that spelling looks odd). I need to see all my children. Just call me greedy. I want it all.

It was snowing when I woke up this morning, and then we had freezing fog. I cannot begin to tell you how cold it was. Icy. I have not been for a walk today, but tomorrow I will be out there, no matter what the weather does. I am roasting a chicken for Mum, Marge and me tonight, with all the Christmas trimmings, to have a bit of both worlds. Mince pies, warm, with brandy butter or cream...... and I do believe there may be a DVD to watch too!

I hope you are all having a wonderful Christmas!

8 comments:

Crystal said...

Ah, your day sounds peaceful and good - but with a big hole in it!! When you went to Switzerland, I knew how happy you would be in this place you love so much. But I wondered about being away from the kids - I couldn't do it!! Technology is just amazing - so glad you got all the connections and could do the next best thing to being there in person. It will be even harder to go away once The Bump is in your life, especially at Christmas! I hope your supper was delicious - what movie did you watch? Happy Christmas to all!

P.S. What did the kids think of the quilts?

Janine said...

Merry Christmas, Linds. Enjoy the evening!
Janine

Mary said...

Wow - that techno link up seems way out of my league (I have had to read the explanation about 5 times just to get the pieces to fit (I mean, well done!) - I am so pleased that you were able to spend a little time with your kids - it sounds cybertastic ;)Sorry about the interruption though - if you had mentioned you were singing? - well I could have added a few harmonies ('Winner takes it all' leads to harmonies - doesn't it?)

It is 6am (day after) here and I am hungover. No, not from alcohol (not a drop) but from food.

Twas a good day though.

Sending love your way.

Susan said...

wonderful your kids are all tech savy and able to hook you all up... we are so blessed with the tecnology we have now.
Susan

someone else said...

I know what you mean about needing to be near the children. We are so blessed to have them so close.

Chris said...

Happy Christmas, dear friend.

Butterfly Mama said...

Merry, merry my dearest Linds...

Hugs,
Heidi

Olson Family said...

Merry Christmas to you and all the family in Engelberg as well!
I am imagining your day has dawned clear and cold - we see boats on the Lake today. More later when I have some peace. Enjoy! Susan