Friday, December 26, 2008

Boxing day.....

Today has been a beautiful day, with the sun and fog playing hide and seek all day. I have been out walking. Icy. Very very cold, and we had yet more snow last night. The village is heaving with people, all up here to ski, walk in the snow, snowboard, go up the mountains, and just generally to enjoy the absolute beauty all around us. And why not...... it is pure heaven here.


These were taken on my walk to the grotto on Christmas Eve.







I can't quite put into words just what this place does to me. Me, can you believe it, not being able to find the words. Maybe it is because I feel something here which restores my soul. Maybe because the beauty does it to me. Maybe though, simply because here, I smile a whole lot. I notice it. I feel it. And it is not a holiday type of smile. I am logical enough to know there is the holiday factor to be remembered, but it is more than that. This is the kind of place where I want to stand on the top of the mountain, and just reach my arms up to heaven, to try to touch it, in a way. It seems that close. And there are lots to choose from. Mountains. All around me.
And the silence. Sometimes, although not this time, I go out before dawn, and all you can hear are my footsteps. The silence is magical, and then the bells from the Kloster will toll, and echo around the valley. In summer, there may be the rustle of leaves on the trees, or the sound of the water trickling over stones as it comes down the mountain into streams. Or the sound of the cowbells on the slopes of the mountains. No cows in winter....most are down the mountain. When the sun shines, if you look up you will see paragliders playing with the winds flying around the skies and drifting down to the valley. Winter or summer.
I have said this before, but I will say it again....people smile a lot here. Everyone greets you with a smile and a greeting as you pass on the pathways. How much difference a simple smile makes. You smile back and greet them, and that smile stays with you and then you meet another total stranger, and smile and greet them, and so the day goes. What a massive difference. Just one smile, and the world can change in a simple way.
It is not long before I go home now. While I will be so happy to see my children again, part of me truly wishes I could stay. Forever maybe.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Linds,
I understand how you feel. That’s the way I felt every time I went to Naples, Florida.

A few months after my husband died, my friend bought me a ticket, and the two of us flew to Florida. She told me she thought I needed to have some warmth and sunshine in my life for a few days.

For me the enormousness of the ocean made me feel closer to God.

A few years ago, I quit my job and spent a year living there. It became a real spiritual journey for me, but my dad’s health was failing at home, and I was missing my children and grandchildren, so when the year ended I moved back home. But I know that for that year I was exactly where God wanted me to be.

Maybe some day you will have the opportunity to do the same.


Luanne

Sandra said...

Linds, that place sounds truly magical and I can understand why you love it so much and feel your soul restored when visiting. It's just the kind of place I would love to live at.

Hope you're having a wonderful day my friend.

Hugs,
Sandra

Midlife Mom said...

Just reading your written words makes me want to pack up and come experience for myself the beauty that you are seeing each day! Maybe someday....sigh.....
We had a lovely Christmas for which I feel so blessed. I am so glad that my one and only child decided to stay in the area where I can see them any time I want. I know what you mean about it just feeling wrong not being with your children on Christmas. Then when the grandchild arrives you will really NEED to be there! The pull will just be so strong you won't be able to resist it even if you wanted to!
I've so enjoyed reading your posts about your stay in such a beautiful area!! Take care Miss Linds! xoxo

Pam said...

Great words and pictures as usual. That's how I feel in north-west Scotland, with the huge empty mountains and seas. Bit chilly in winter, though...

Enjoy every moment.

Crystal said...

You describe it so beautifully - I can just feel the peace and beauty you are experiencing. I pray that you will be rejuvenated and have so many good memories that you will be able to take all these feelings home with you. ((( HUGS )))

someone else said...

You have kept me smiling all week with your pictures and stories of your visit there. It's been wonderful!

Mary said...

I will be honest - there is just a tad of jealousy within me. I reckon I could manage just a little of that beauty.

Capture them smiles, the peace, the beauty, the silence, the majesty of the place and lock em into your memory.

Say hello to your mum and sister and your B.I.L. for me.

Enjoy (like crazy) these last few days.

Joyful Days said...

I'm just now catching up on my blog reading and yours has made me smile with all your beautiful photos and shared memories. Thank you so much--you make me feel the beauty there!

Merry Christmas (a day late)!

Julie

Dawn said...

I am so thankful that you a place to go and stay that feeds your soul. It sounds much like our area in many ways, but we don't have a place to go where we can hear cow bells or church bells. But I do know the smell of the air and the rustling of leaves and the gurgling of the brook.

We're heading for our favorite place on the river for a couple of days. It will be good. We're had a great time with the family, but it will be good to relax for a couple of days. I hope to post before we leave.

meggie said...

Lovely post Linds! I can feel your joy. Happy Christmas Season to youxx

Theresa said...

I'm finally catching up on reading all my favorite blogs and your's is the first. I'm sitting here in tears, Linds, I'm so happy for you. I remember a few months after my then husband left me I took a trip, by myself, to Atlanta Georgia for a Christian Women's Retreat and I smiled the whole time. It was where God wanted me and where I needed to me.

You don't even need pictures, your words paint them beautifully.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful walk.

Happy holidays.

Needled Mom said...

I am so glad that you have had such a wonderful visit, Linds. This has to be the best medicine you have had this year. I wish you could do it whenever you want, but guess that is unrealistic.

Safe journies as you leave that heavenly place.

Margaret Cloud said...

This is the most beautiful place on earth, just looking at the pictures gives you a sense of it all. The way you describe this wonder of nature is like a little bit of heaven, thank you for sharing

Vee said...

May you find a way to stay. It seems a crying shame to leave someplace that is as magical as this one is for you. Why else would God put such a great love in your heart?

Jan said...

Linds, you have shared all of this beauty with us and for that I am grateful. I am so happy for you that you have found a place that makes you smile and brings you such inner warmth.