Wednesday, February 04, 2009

My recession heaters...

I like making presents for Christmas. Well, apart from the cost factor, I think giving a gift which has taken time to make is really nice. I know I love getting handmade gifts too.

Given the fact that energy costs have sky-rocketted, I decided to make bags filled with rice to heat in the microwave, so my friends could keep warm without turning the central heating up high. And in a moment of genius (hahahahah!) I called them Recession Heaters. I enclosed instructions for use, which include the fact that you heat them in the microwave for 1.5-2.5 mins, and if the recession bites too deep and all else fails, slit open and cook the rice.

They have an inner bag of rice, so the outer one (flannel or fleece) can be washed. I used the embroidery machine to add the writing.....
I think I made about 25 in all, and I use 3 all the time. I have 2 in bed with me, and the great thing is that they do not get cold, even when they lose their heat. They take on the body heat temp, so are always warm during the night.

And I have one downstairs. I am sitting here in the cold part of the house, with one on my lap, covered by a blanket, and I am as warm as toast. I also take it to the couch and curl up with it there. They are wonderful for aches and pains too.
So there you are. My Recession Heaters. I am saving money by keeping the heating low, but staying warm! And they are dead easy to make. You can make small ones and use them in your pockets to keep your hands warm. And you can use wheat, or split peas, or rice.... just for heaven's sake do not use corn!
Let me know if you need a tutorial!

14 comments:

Rosaria Williams said...

I'm all thumbs with sewing instructions; but this looks easy to do, and useful. You ought to patent and sell these.

Lisa Marie said...

What a great idea! You are so clever and I love what you call them! Perfect.

Pam said...

What a good idea. We have some lavender ones but they cost a lot - they do smell nice, though.

So sorry about your craft basket. I felt for you.

someone else said...

Awesome! I'd love to have the instructions for making these.

K said...

I have a lavender one too, but if I'd known you could make them with rice, I would have! They're great for de-tensioning the neck an shoulders (and easier to balance there than a hot-water bottle).

The cake has now been taste-tested. Yummy! It gets the husband's seal of approval too.

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Thanks for the pictures and explanation, Linds. I have the stuff to make some of them right now. Just need to get motivated.

I spoke too soon earlier. The power didn't go off but my internet was off all afternoon and just came back on. If it's not one thing with the repercussions from that ice storm it's another. Sigh.....

Stay warm and be careful if you drive in the ice and snow.

Love and hugs,

Diane

Needled Mom said...

What a wonderful gift. My mom received two of them from a friend and still uses them....and LOVES them. I really like the embroidery on them too.

Mary said...

My question would be - do you think they would stay cold if I put them in the freezer?

Anonymous said...

Haha that's really clever! I love wheat bags like that! They stay warm for an impressively long time!

Dawn said...

You are indeed a clever, clever woman! I'm surprised they stay so warm so long. I would definitely have it around my tense neck.

Edith said...

Love the idea. I wonder if they would hold the heat and keep my thighs warm on the bus? My upper body stays somewhat comfortable with coat and gloves on...but even with longies on my legs are always still cold! A tutorial would be good...and maybe inspire me to get my sewing machine out.

Susan said...

Very clever, wonderful idea and yours are extra special with the embroidery.
Susan

Olson Family said...

Had a great "out loud" laugh at the "do not use corn" warning! Thank you. Swiss Susan :)

Vee said...

Do not use corn? That's what mine are made of...they do smell like popcorn when microwaved. I love the little sayings on them. You certainly could make and sell these!