Thursday, February 05, 2009

The village was cut off......

Now, in the greater scheme of things, this will not appear as a huge amount of snow to some of you, but in OUR scheme of things it was huge! The village, I gather from the local news, was cut off this morning. Nothing could get in and nothing could get out. So I went for a walk while the snow was crisp and not trampled on, because it is easier to walk on crunchy snow.


No, I did not build this snowman, but it was huge and had a lovely grin. The sad thing is that some teens came by shortly after Jean took this photo and smashed it down. I was not thrilled.


There is a field on the outskirts of the village where everyone goes to toboggan when it snows, and there were loads of people there today.

The village centre is in a dip. All roads out of the centre are up hill, so early on, none of the cars could get traction up the hills.

The great thing about today was that everyone was out walking, heading for the field to toboggan. Snowball fights all over the place, old and young and everyone chatting and best of all, everyone SMILING! Lots of laughter echoing around. I knocked on the doors of a couple of elderly neighbours to check if they needed anything from the shops, and everyone was looking out for everyone else. This is the best thing about living in a village like this.

Pretty, isn't it?



So there you are. We have snow. There may be more, but it has been a lovely day for everyone, I think. I bumped in to Jean as I hobbled slowly past her road, and went in to her house to have some soup and toast. Perfect. Then I set off home. And all my neighbours were outside, and it is great. But i do believe I am seizing up. The walk took the place of physio, and I think I have had an equivalent work out!
Now I am heading for the coffee......

18 comments:

someone else said...

So, so pretty! It all looks like scenes from a Miss Read story.

Barb said...

Your village has always seemed very cozy to me, Linds. The way everyone gets out and meets, when it snows, is really, really nice. It's all very pretty.

What a shame, about the snowman being knocked down. Bad boys!

Laurie in Ca. said...

It is beautiful there in your village Linds. It looks like tons of snow to this Southern California girl. Our weather has been in the 80's all week and we are headed for some rain this afternoon. We don't get seasons, just weather that changes weekly. I hope you are enjoying some warm coffee and relaxation after this wonderful walk. Take care sweetie. Hoping your granddaughter makes her arrival soon. That will get you WARM all over:)

Love and Hugs, Laurie

Laura Lee said...

How lovely! I've always wanted to live in a village just. like. this.

Susie said...

It looks so lovely (and cold!) Too bad about the snowman, but I love how your village has fun together..
xo

Carole Burant said...

Oh Linds, such a pretty village you live in and I love the thought of everyone looking out for each other. I can well imagine how much you're all enjoying the snow since you never get that much usually. Here in northern Ontario we get jaded because we always have so much of it! lol xoxo

Sandra said...

Linds I'm so jealous, one of my dreams is to live in a cottage in England in a village somewhere LOL I'll just live vicariously through you.

Love all the photos, that's a LOT of people :)

Judith said...

Linds, I just read your recent posts, from Feb.3 to this one. How great that you live where community is still that.

Soup and toast with a friend, what a great way to enjoy this post card perfect snow.

More later. Now I must scurry off to check on another great school teacher.

Unknown said...

Awww! I remember similar snow in the village, must have been late 80s, early 90s. Brilliant.

Linda said...

I believe you may have started something when you put up that new header Linds!
I'm reading Miss Read's Thrush Green series right now, and I picture that little village much like yours. Absolutely lovely!

Harley's World said...

I am so happy that someone so nice as yourself lives in that beautiful village of my dreams that I myself would LOVE to live in. We are only out here because we can have a better standard of living and can't afford to live where we want in our own country. It's sad really but ah well maybe one day we'll move into "Dibley" with you. Lol!
Where is it anyway? If you don't want to say exactly where maybe just the county or something.

Susan said...

It is beautiful when it first falls and is so clean.
Susan

Crystal said...

I love these long posts with lots of pictures!!! Your village has got a lot of snow and it looks so picturesque. I feel rather bad mentioning that it is +7 here and the ice is actually melting on the roads now. I know it's not here to stay but it's quite lovely for now. Community spirit seems to thrive when the weather is bad which means that all is right with the world at least sometimes. I'm glad you could go for your walk with the camera today. Take care - enjoy the coffee!!

Dawn said...

What wonderful pictures - and what a lovely place you live. I would love to come to your village and go for a nice long walk with you - I think I said that before, but I really mean it. Take it easy now!

Anonymous said...

How beautiful!! Typed as I sit and look out my window at the snow here in Devon!

Olson Family said...

It looks beautiful and "so very English" - I think of this in the accent of Kendra's "very proper British" 2nd grade teacher. Miss G. has a beautiful, soft accent.

Anyhoo - stay warm and know that we will be getting more snow ourselves this weekend. Might have to whip up a Recession Heater this afternoon! After reading the comments, may put in my leftover lavender blooms in with the rice.

Vee said...

Yes, it is so pretty! And you and your friend Frosty look wonderful together. I'm so glad that you had that photo taken.

Barbara said...

Love all your snow pictures. Didn't we all have fun.

Good to read the interview answers too although lots I already knew.