Thursday, May 26, 2011

Rain. Water. Too much water......

There is a down side to having a water butt which had never been filled by the rain before today. What could that be?? Hah. The overflow pipe which diverts water back to the drainpipe when the water butt is full is malfunctioning. So, here I sit, clad in rain gear, because the rains have finally come to my part of the world with ABUNDANCE, and Heaven knows we need that rain, but every 5 minutes, I am out there, emptying the buckets of water I drain from the butt over my already sodden garden.


If I don't, the patio gets flooded, and that is not a good idea. Then the sun comes out for 5 minutes, the plants visibly grow, and down comes the rain again. Up goes the water level in the butt, and out I go to drain more water. The neighbours must think I have lost the plot. I have been watering in the rain all afternoon. I now need a very large tank, I feel. The water butt needs to multiply.

My hair has been wet, dry, wet, dry, and now I look as though I have had an encounter with an electrical socket. My shoes are wet.

However, I am pleased to announce that I should live and so should my garden. I may have drowned it, of course, but at least it is definitely wet. Wet gardens are good. The word "wet" seems to be appearing rather frequently today. Well, I am wet. Damp. Whatever.


 I am having a real problem trying to arrange the photos - obviously I am missing the photo-moving-gene today. I can make all the writing tremble and shudder though. Skill, I tell you. But I thought you may like to see some of the roses. I cut a few before the winds came and they have been a delight in the house. I love roses.

Supper is cooking right now, and I am sure there was something I meant to say, but that can wait until tomorrow. My brain seems to have been locked into water mode. I will be back.


6 comments:

Vee said...

Glad that you are getting to see some sun in between the showers. That might make the entire thing easier to take. I do hope that something is figured out so that you won't have to go through this process all summer. The roses are beautiful. Do you raise knock-out roses?

Linda said...

Ah Linds - I am praying for the day the heavens open like that for us. However, I can fully understand your soggy dilemma. It never rains, but it pours.
Your roses are spectacular.
P.S. My hair gets the same way when wet. I try to avoid it at all costs.

Crystal said...

We had 3 days of rain here too but I didn't have to scoop anything anywhere! The dandelion field that is our front yard needs some serious attention though - oh, my! Your roses are beautiful! I need to get one for myself again. Off to plant some seeds!

Anonymous said...

We've had rain today too, although not as much as we (or should I say the gardens) need. But it has been rather cool today, I'm pleased I kept the annuals in the greenhouse as they're growing well out of the wind.

Needled Mom said...

The roses are beautiful with or without all of the water issues.

Janine said...

Stunning roses! My mom would be proud of you.