- How did you start blogging? Well, that one is easy. My daughter was going to work in NZ and she started blogging before she left to keep all her friends and family updated with her adventures. I watched her and said I wouldn't mind having a go too, and the next minute she had set it up for me. I confess that I knew nothing when I started, and she has done some long distance idiot-proof tutorials! Messenger is a wonderful invention. I didn't write much for the first 6 months or so, and then I started very tentatively. No-one except her read it, and then I started looking for women my sort of age to read about and talk to and stumbled on this wonderful community. I remember gathering my courage and making my first comment on Mary's (Owlhaven) comment marathon night. And that was the start of a great voyage of discovery!
- Did you intend to have a following? No. I didn't intend anything. And even now, I am just fascinated to get to know new people and have them visit if they feel like it. I am not bothered by stats. It has just evolved steadily.
- What did you hope to accomplish? Initially to keep in touch with friends and family, who are spread all over the world. Then a new world opened. No goals except to learn more about all my new friends all over the place. The love and support is an unexpected bonus.It is fun. Simple, really.
- What do you wish you had known when I started? How easy it would be! And how wonderful it has been to be part of the community. Maybe that I had been more techno savvy.
- Do you make money from your blog? No. I only found out that you actually could a short while ago.
- Do your family know about your blog? Yes. They all do and they all read it. This can be good and not so good. I do know that what I write is tempered by the fact that they read it.
- What 2 pieces of advice would you give a new blogger? Don't let it consume all your time. It is a part of your life, not the whole thing, and all of us can talk of the hours we have spent reading and posting! Don't be afraid to comment on other people's blogs. It is great to get to know each other. Ask for advice when you need it re how to do things or where to go. OOps that was 3. Just enjoy discovering a wonderful community of amazing people!
Monday, June 11, 2007
Chilihead has a post up re why we are blogging, so you can go over and visit, and add to her Mr Linky thingy if you want to join in too.