Sunday, June 03, 2007

Half-term is over

The holidays are at an end, and I am not ready to go back to school tomorrow. Too much "hard" stuff to deal with in the coming days, not least what I will be doing next term. I have some tough decisions to make and am no nearer to making them. I have appointments with lawyers arranged, and it will soon be the anniversary of Geoff's death, and David starts his exams tomorrow, and Mum needs me around more, and ......... oh well. This is life at the moment. No-one said it was going to be a doddle, did they.

After a week of diabolical weather, we have had 3 stunning days of sun, and we have made the most of them. There are no guarantees in England when it comes to weather! Friday was gardening and allotment planting day. The rabbits are having a banquet down at the allotments, and I had to go and get fencing for the new veg we planted. Jean and David and I rigged up what we hope will be rabbit-proof barricades, and so far they have not been able to get in. There was a good deal of laughter as we tried to get fencing to stay straight. (Add that to the new skills pile.)
Yesterday was lovely. Time to relax and enjoy my family and friends.

This photo was taken yesterday while I watched the babes swim in their new play pool in the sun. There was much shrieking of delight, and water splashing and ice-lollies and suncream and sitting chatting to my friends as we watched the fun. Many smiles. Water + kids = happiness. The simple things in life. I took many, many photos!

In the evening, we went to my friend, Tessa for supper. She has the most beautiful garden, and we just love going there. Here are some cows in the field next to her house. Diana will remember them well. They once chased her across the fields.

So you get to see a little of the English countryside. And cows. It was wonderful sitting out in the garden, and listening to the birds. And cows. And I swear I heard a donkey, but there was no sign of one. So maybe it was a cow. (It did make a very strange sound.... very un-cow-like.

Today has been lovely. After a wonderful church service this morning, I went to the monthly shared lunch, at Nicky's place. We all take plates of food to share, and there are usually about 8-12 families who get together. More sitting in the garden, more photos, and more laughter. We all used to go to the same church, and have moved on to many new ones, and this is a way of staying in touch, and we so enjoy it.

And then tonight, after a snooze this afternoon, we all went to Peter and Glynis for a BBQ. So I have done NO cooking this weekend, and have been spoilt rotten. Being able to be outside is always great. And being with special friends is even better. We interrupted Matt's afternoon sleep when we arrived, and I did say I would post a photo of him here, but I will keep him in suspense a little longer.

So, it is back to normal tomorrow. I have a great deal to be thankful for, I know. And I am, believe me. There are just some mountains out there which look very steep and treacherous at the moment. And the trouble with mountains is that they come in ranges. With lots of peaks. Oh well. One at a time. And summer is here.

5 comments:

Dawn said...

I am so far behind! I just read about 4 or 5 of your posts and enjoyed every one. I feel for you in having to go back to school tomorrow and wanting to be at home. I am getting that way more and more, though I used to love my job.

Great pictures! I am so glad you have your new camera going. Why did I think you had short hair??

Enjoy every sunshiny moment. And keep smiling!

Susie said...

Hi Linds!
That photo of the English countryside is gorgeous. So serene!!
I loved seeing your smiling face.
So glad you had a beautiful restful weekend!!
xo

meggie said...

Lovely photos. The one with the cows made me feel homesick for New Zealands green pastures.
Glad you had such a lovely day before your mountain climbing begins.

Susan said...

Love seeing a picture of you and your sweet, smiling face :o) Glad you got that new camera.

I will be holding you up in prayer as you deal with the legal things that have to be dealt with.
((hugs))
Susan

someone else said...

Oh, you look so pretty! One of these days I'm going to get brave and post a photo of myself. Maybe this weekend for our anniversary. I love your pictures -- I have some of those cow pictures in my photo album. I'm getting very restless to visit England again, but it probably won't be until next summer.

I like the way you keep in touch with your friends with the shared lunch. There just isn't any way to place a value on warm friendships, is there?

I hope today a school went well.