Saturday, June 20, 2009

Village Carnival time.....

The skies were not quite the blue they had promised to be, and there was a little rain as the carnival began......

But that did not stop the village from turning out in force......
The kids love climbing in the fire engine, and wearing hats and setting off the siren....

And the pipe band plays stirring music on those bagpipes....


The magician keeps the children enthralled.....

The morris dancers were a great attraction. See all those bells on the socks?? They jingle and jangles as the fiddler plays his jig, and the men sing......

I am not really "up" on Morris Dancing, people, so I have no idea why there is a man dressed as a woman wearing that red wool wig under a mob cap, hilarious make-up and all those rags dangling. See? there on the left of the photo.....
I am sure if you really want to know, you can google it and find out!

Fun, though!
I walked around the arena. Sadly, I left before the pig race. Yes really. A pig race. There is a lot of stuff happening all afternoon. Gymnastics, and lots more......
See that plant stall? I bought a couple of lavender bushes and some coriander for the garden.

And speaking of gardens..... the squirrels ( I detest them) dug up 18 places in my garden last night. Mostly pots. Roses, peppers, tomatoes, flowers, leeks, carrots and more. I was speechless with fury, and spent a great deal of the morning trying to save things, and muttering dire imprecations under my breath. You know why they are digging up my plants? My neighbour feeds them nuts. So they pick them up next door and pop over the fence to MY garden and stash them. They dig up MY plants to store their nuts. NO WAY.
So I have netted as many pots as possible and beds too. My garden looks dreadful with all the netting, but so help me, I will not allow those squirrels to wreck it. And I am going to have to have a word with her. This is not only my garden being destroyed, but others in the road too. I will be gentle and kind. Hmmm. This may take some practice. Just as well she was at work when I walked out there this morning.
And because you asked, here is my new washing machine. Insert smiley face.
Do not complain about the weird angle. I thought it was weird too, so I crouched down to take a better photo....did you hear that? I said I CROUCHED DOWN. And went a little too far, and got stuck. My leg was on fire because it is so swollen I can't bend it properly and remember I crouched, so it had to very definitely bend. So I yelled and oh, the indignity of having to get my 83 year old mother to help me up. It took her some time to get off the couch, because she is 83 after all. The wait was dire. And I seem to have made it worse. Sigh. But what the heck - you get the photo!

And that is it for now. I am off to check the squirrels are not wreaking more havoc.......

9 comments:

Needled Mom said...

I do say that you deserve a medal of some sorts for that washing photo. Why is it that you were not dancing with joy (with the washer) in the town festival? It looks as though it was great fun.

My MIL used to call squirrels "rats with tails" and despised them. Good luck with the neighbor as I hope it works.

Dawn said...

I am so sorry that you crouched! We forget sometimes, don't we?

The festival looks like such fun - and everyone is there enjoying themselves and each other.

It is now noon and still overcast - I keep hoping the sun will burn off those clouds, but it doesn't look hopeful. Just hope it doesn't rain on the hymn sing!

Squirrels - I have to say I am starting to feel the same way as you. We have 4 residing in our back yard - they keep the finches away because they steel all their food. Yesterday I caught one coming out from under the net we had draped over the strawberries - GRRR!! We were protecting them from the birds, not thinking of the pesky squirrels. Our little dachschund used to make sure we didn't have squirrels or rabbits, but he is long gone to doggie heaven.

Have a great Sunday!

Rosaria Williams said...

A medal of honor for your determination to get that picture. And, another one for your mother who helped you get back on your feet. We are not worth all that, really.

Jess said...

Well....I don't know what to say...lol Congrats again on the washer, so sorry about the varments.... and I hope that your garden and knee turn out okay...and you mother too if she hurt herself...Just kidding!

Lots of love,
Have a great weekend
Jess

Diane@Diane's Place said...

I suppose you could throw the squirrels in the washing machine....;o)

Hope your knee recovers quickly and you have a great Sunday.

Love and hugs,

Diane

Olson Family said...

Hi Linds,
I'm finally able to sit and read blogs for a few minutes before finishing the packing. I should probably just finish packing but hey, there will be PLENTY of time to nap on the plane.
May you win your fight against the squirrels! I'd suggest a dog but find that squirrels just taunt the canines and never go away. Happy laundering to you, may you pace yourself well and I will be praying for you as you resolve those difficult issues. Aren't we lucky God gives us the strength we don't have on our own? I too hope we can catch up - maybe in Engelberg? Cheers! S

Mary said...

Did I tell you that in my dreams I am a very proficient and determined squirellerminator? Well I am - put the kettle on - relax - I'm on my way.

Vee said...

Terribly interested in this conversation you must have with your neighbor. I've been practicing the difficult conversation thing for a while now so I can use some tips. As one who has pulled hundreds of oak trees in the yard, I well understand your annoyance over the stuffing of the squirrels' stash in your plant pots.

Beautiful washing machine and I am appropriately grateful for the snapshot.

Tee said...

Squirrels are rats with fluffy tails. I bought a bag of 10 inch bamboo skewers at the grocery store (super market) and stuck them up in my flower pots. My neighbor did the same thing in her flower pots. Stick the blunt end into the ground so the points are sticking up. This is exactly why I've killed 86 of those little devils in my backyard. They ate three rows of siding off my husband's workshop down to the plywood. It took us two weeks to repair and replace the damage they did to the workshop.

The new washer is beautiful. I know you really appreciate having it. So sorry for the problem taking the photo.