Monday, March 15, 2010

15 March....................

The Ides of March.

15 March.

Today.

It is also my goddaughter's birthday. Happy Birthday, Alice (who is now grown into a lovely young woman, and a mother herself)!

And I always remember both of the above because the 15 March was Geoff's birthday. He would have been 67 today. Mum and I have just been talking about how we can't imagine him being 67, but then he never looked 60+ anyway. I think he would have looked very much the same as he always had done. But I will never know.

Tonight our time, my daughter will be having her op on her knee. It will be tomorrow in NZ. You know, if anyone happens to be reading this blog for the first time, they will think I am slightly crazy. Tonight, tomorrow..... oh well. I know what I mean. So, even though the logic says it will all be just FINE, the mother in me will be pacing. The wrong kind of pacing, that is. There is no "off" switch for Mums, is there. It stays in the "on" mode from the moment they are born, for the rest of time, and even though my daughter is a grown woman, I am still her Mum. And not there. And in full Mum Operational Mode. MOM.

I suspect it may be a looooooong night.

5 comments:

Dawn said...

I somehow missed that Diana was having knee surgery - did she injure it somehow? And no, there is no "off" button involved in motherhood - wish there was sometimes!

Dear Geoff was just a tad younger than Dwight - he'll be 68 in July. He also looks very much younger than he is.

I can't believe it's the 15th of March already - time is just screaming by at a crazy pace!

Leave her in God's hands and try to relax - I know, I know!

Needled Mom said...

Once a mom, always a mom. I understand we do not stop worrying until we die.

Our eldest son is also 40 today! I can imagine how difficult it must be to imagine Geoff getting older. He will forever be remembered as being vibrant and young as we all get older.

Prayers for a successful surgery for Diana. I am sure you will all be glad to have it behind you.

someone else said...

I'm sure today will hold a lot of sweet memories for you. I hope you're having a good day, and I pray for successful surgery for Diana.

Crystal said...

Praying that all will go well in the surgery and that Diana's healing will be complete. You are so right - once a Mom, always a Mom! My friend is having a hard time dealing with friend issues that are happening to her 2nd yr. university daughter this week. It always breaks a mom's heart when something is going wrong with /for her kids.

This is a memory-filled day for you, Linds. I'm sure you have so much to think about. ((( HUGS )))

Linda said...

It never changes - you are exactly right Linds. I'll be praying with you that all is well.