Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Daughters, doctors and distance.....

Well, that didn't go quite as planned then.

Instead of a simple torn meniscus repair, the surgeon discovered a badly damaged patella and cartilage and there is every chance the other knee is the same. He has no idea what has caused it, and has never seen anything like it in a 29 year old patient. Diana is now on crutches for 6 weeks and can't put any weight on the foot at all in that time, can't drive etc etc etc. Her plans for the next few weeks/months are all up in the air as a result, and this Mum is not having a good day. Scratch that, this Mum is having an appalling day.

But it is not about me at all. It is about that beautiful girl of mine across the world, and so can you please add your multitude of prayers to those already winging their way heavenwards? Please? Healing. Miracle. The lot.

The surgeon has drilled holes into the bone to try to stimulate regeneration. Thank heavens she had a general anaesthetic and not an epidural. Yes, I know knees can be replaced. But at 29??? And she is so far away too. She is being so upbeat about it all, and yet I hear my little girl hurting, and it is very hard.

She lives by the most enormous and all encompassing of faiths you know. A complete trust in the fact that God's plan will work out through anything and everything life throws her way. His glory will shine through her. Just watch.

This Mum, however, will be Having Words with my Friend. This is MY daughter we are talking about, and I am Not Best Pleased.

9 comments:

Dawn said...

Oh, dear Linds, I am so sorry. What a shocking surprise that must have been. It's too bad you and she can't nurse your knees together.

I am glad to know, though, that her faith is so rock solid. It will carry her through - and you, too!

It seems as though life is just not easy these days.

Needled Mom said...

I am sure you are probably hurting more than she is - in a different way. As a mom, I know you want to be there to nurse her and do all those things for her that she can't.

What an interesting diagnosis that is. Did they give it a name? It would be a shame to eventually have to have the second knee done too. I do hope this "fix" works for her and she "repairs" faster than anticipated.

I will be keeping her (and you) in my prayers.

Chris said...

Prayers going up for her as we speak, my friend. I'm thinking bad knees run in your family lately. Prayer for you as well, knowing how hard this is to handle from so far away. Any chance of visiting her to help out?

Vee said...

It's the hardest thing in all the world to watch a child in trouble and not be able to do a blessed thing other than pray. How wonderful that your darling girl is putting all her faith and trust in the Lord. We shall stand back and see a miracle...yes, we shall!

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Praying, Linds. Mercy.

Love and hugs,

Diane

Olson Family said...

Linds - praying for you and your daughter! A lot going on and memories as well. Praying a miraculous healing/medical treatment for her knees. We are all about the knees as well and I am dreading my Ortho appt. at the end of the month - ignorance is bliss but it can hurt.
And I realize I mis-read the time change comment. I still think it inconvenient for the US to change their DST schedule a couple years back - both in living in the US and outside.
Praying for you this Spring day.

someone else said...

I'm so sorry she has to go through this. One of the things I have to remind myself of frequently is that God loves my children more than I do, and He really will take care of her.

How funny -- my word verification is broadl. It makes me think of broad love, which is how all-encompassing God's love is.

Edith said...

Linds...hugs. So sorry you and your daughter are going through this. Praying.

Michelle (wife, mom, grandma, daughter, sister, friend, co-worker, and striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman) said...

Praying...