Friday, March 12, 2010

It only lasts so long......

A cold wet day starts beautifully when you switch on the computer as you pass by to make the coffee, and within minutes, the skype ring tone starts, and there, before your eyes, is the smiling face of your small granddaughter. Waving a block or 2 at me. Toddling back and forth.

I am so thankful I have a computer and that I can see and hear her.

Banking errands in a town nearby are made so much easier when you can park close by and do not have to climb stairs or walk far.

I am so thankful I have a disabled parking badge, and this was not always how I felt, let me tell you.



Doing a small food shop in a crowded noisy supermarket is made so much more rewarding when you see that the tulips are on special offer with 25% extra free, and you just know they will make you smile every time you see them on your table, and who needs food anyway.

I am so thankful for the promise of spring and the beauty of fresh flowers.



Seeing your friend's car parked outside her house, and stopping for a hot cup of coffee and a chat instead of coming home means laughter, problems sorted and catching up.

I am so thankful for friendships with amazing people who really care.

Coming home to a letterbox full of post and discovering there, amongst the brown stuff we will not discuss, a bright red envelope containing a Mothering Sunday card from your child and a drawing by your granddaughter, is a reminder of what is truly important after all, and it does not come in a brown envelope either.

I am so thankful for each of my children.

Speaking to your sister on the phone, and and hearing that dear, so familiar voice as you discuss latest family developments makes you truly grateful for sisters, and unconditional family love and support.

I am so thankful for my whole family - each and every one of them.

Sitting here wrapped in a blanket with gloves on your hands and 4 layers of clothes as well is a reminder that spring is not here yet and would it please hurry up and arrive because you are freezing and can't find a single reason to be thankful about freezing other than that you have clothes and blanket and gloves and you want to be hot so enough already and did you mention the freezing bit and you absolutely refuse to switch the heating on yet and you are quite happy to moan for a while instead of being thankful and.......

9 comments:

someone else said...

And I'm thankful we met.

Vee said...

That Skype sounds great and even though I'm just a block or two away from my grands, perhaps I need to consider it. :D

Oh that freezing bit with your sitting around in multiple layers always concerns me. Now why is it that you do it? To conserve fuel? It sounds soooo painful!

Have another delicious day and don't hesitate to show us your lovely tulips...food for the soul.

Nanny Ree said...

It's so lovely to read your blog & your positive attitude. Hope you have a great Mothering Sunday Marie x

Vee said...

Oh how nice a pop of color and that wonderful green tablecloth. It makes me grin. Hope that you're spending some time wearing a grin, too. Now tell me, is this Mothering Sunday like Mother's Day on this side of the planet? A day to honor mothers?

Anonymous said...

Vicky from East Texas says....
You are sounding so much better, so much more positive and good. Counting our blessings does that to us, doesn't it? And, friend, you are blessed, as are all of us. I love to read your blog. And, although you don't know me, I feel as if I know you , atleast somewhat. I know you enough to know that you are feeling so much better. Funny how grandchildren, tulips, and sunshine, and a green tablecloth can do that for us! I'm happy for you.

Linda said...

A wonderful gratitude post Linds- so many precious blessings.

P.S. I don't blame you for not wanting to be cold!

Olson Family said...

The tulip pic's look lovely against the new Blog face. Happy Mothering Day to you!

Crystal said...

I'm thankful that I can come to visit you via this blog and that you make me pause and reconsider so many parts of my life. Your tulips are so pretty - they are one of my absolute favourite flowers. I hope it warms up soon! Happy Mothering Day, Linds!

Dawn said...

Wonderful blessings and beautiful tulips!

We have actually had two lovely days in a row and it is a blessing.