Monday, July 04, 2011

It is not a holiday here......

Today is destined to be the day of the remolding of the body. Groan. Pilates this morning, and a call just now to go and collect the thingies for the shoes to transform my feet then knees, then hips, then spine tralalalalala. As the kids I used to teach would say....what-eh-vah.

Actually, our pilates teacher was "on a course" too, so we had Someone Different. And she tended to focus on those who actually still retained a modicum of control of their sprightly lean young bodies. This clearly did not include moi. or the lady next to me. There was much muttering then laughter then rocking back and forth clutching knees trying to look as if we were simply resting.

But here I am. Alive. And hot. It is humid today and hot, and the garden is wilting like I am. It is now a few hours since I started writing this post, and David and I have managed to pack in a good few things this afternoon. We do not relax and loll about here at RCR. Dog walking, Extreme Make-over Home Edition on TV(an essential), a trip to get the shoe thingies, a visit to the supermarket, and you will never believe this, but a stop at McDonald's. Is that how you spell it? I have no idea. It must be all of 5 years since I darkened the drive-thru lane. That would be why I whizzed past the microphone thing and arrived at the window and had to reverse all the way round again. It is strange territory for me. My son, on the other hand, was howling with laughter and telling me to go back. He is a student. He knows all about McDonald's.

The chocolate milkshake was banana, so I had to get out and go and have it changed. Which completely negates the convenience of the drive-thru lane, doesn't it. But it was nice. Do these things happen to anyone else, or is it just me? Sigh.

I am now looking at the clock and I am trying to work out how to water three gardens (friends away), feed dogs (ditto), create a meal and feed us, sort papers, try to create some order out of the chaos, be in 6 places at the same time, and PACE MYSELF. Oh, the irony. And I have a couple of calls to make too. One of which I was supposed to make before lunch and have just remembered.

Happy 4th of July, all my American friends! I hope you are having a wonderful day with family and friends, and that the fireworks are splendid this evening. Not to mention the red white and blue cakes. And the picnics. And.... have fun!!

6 comments:

someone else said...

I enjoyed your journey through McDonald's. Ha ha!

Dawn said...

I had a good laugh about the drive through episode. If went through with the 4 girls the other day and got a soda with no flavor to speak of - didn't want to leave them in the hot car to go exchange, so sat in the long hot line again. Glad you enjoyed it after all.

Years ago when we were visiting England and were in Bournemouth, we went to McDonald's with the British family and it tasted so good - though I don't ever eat the burgers here at home. Strange!

We're having a very dull day actually. We'll not do the usual going to the park for a burger, because we have the girlies and it's too much money! We'll walk down there this evening for the fireworks.

Fran Hill said...

Love the idea of a day which combines Pilates with a whopping great milkshake from McDonalds.

Linds said...

A SMALL one, Fran!

Joan said...

I just happened upon your blog and love it!!! I'm from Iowa, in the midwest part of the USA, and I can't tell you how many times I drive through McDonald's and order unsweetened tea and end up with sweet tea. Drives me crazy! Now I won't leave the window until I open the straw and try the tea. :)

Janine said...

ROFL over bypassing the ordering point!! :)
I hope that the milkshake was delicious and that you are to PACE yourself today. If you manage to do that with any sort of regularity you'll have to give me lessons. This is all still quite new, foreign, and unwanted, though I am learning to not fight it as much.
Baby steps .....
:)