Friday, July 22, 2011

So thankful....

If I were to tell you that I crawled under the duvet last night, and my heart was overflowing with thankfulness, and that I fell asleep in the middle of regaling the Good Lord with lists and lists of wonderful things that I was SO grateful for, would you understand? 

 For this young man, his gentleness, quietness, perception, and strength.....
 For this little city which has hosted his transition into adulthood, with its mix of centuries of tradition, and modern development....(This little square outside the entrance to the Cathedral is not much changed since the days of the troubadours, except for the costumes and most probably the lack of a stench in the air...)
 For the pride in my heart for all he has achieved, this youngest child of mine.... and for the delight in how we walked around town, amidst all the other young people in academic gowns and caps with their parents smiling broadly, and how total strangers stopped him in the street and congratulated him, asked what faculty his colour of cape denoted, and they were both young, and old. For the look on his face.
 For the fact that this slightly wobbly Mum managed to cope with those cobbled streets, and found a very helpful security guard at the Cathedral who arranged a pass for me to park within the grounds. This was even more delightful when we emerged after the ceremony to rain.....
 For kind strangers who took photos of us. For the way he carried himself - tall and proud. For a wonderful seat right at the front for the ceremony. For glorious organ music (including Gaudeamus Igitur) filling the Cathedral with beauty, and 8 trumpeters adding to the sound. Ah...... how special it was. The colours of the robes, the processions, the music, the young faces, the proud families, the work, the achievements..... so much to celebrate.
 For the laughter, and the fun of trying to take self portraits of us together. You have no idea what the others look like. Just as well. For the hot black coffee while sitting at a table outside in the sun, watching the world go by as we chatted..... For seeing him with his friends.....
And for this. The graduand became the graduate. 

And so much more.
So much.


5 comments:

Vee said...

What a great post. I've enjoyed sharing a bit in the joy and the pride. What beautifully dear faces and you two really look a great deal alike. I'm so glad that all went well and that it doesn't look as if it was a scorcher of a day. Thank you for all the details that make me feel almost as if I had been there. Thanks, too, for the great photographs!

Wishing the graduate all the best! It's not the end; it's just the beginning.

someone else said...

I can hear the pride in your voice as I read. What a wonderful occasion! And you look stunning, by the way.

Crystal said...

Thank you for giving us a glimpse in to your celebration and congratulations to David. It's amazing what our children go on to do and how they become amazing people, isn't it?!! It sounds like a wonderful day, Linds. Your pictures add so much to the story. Enjoy being the proud Mama of great kids. ((( HUGS )))

RoeH said...

I just saw your comment on Vee's blog. I just wanted to say -- "thank you"! I have such a hard time uploading videos I want to commit hari-kari. Sheesh!

Oh and I like this post and have to go back and read it. Wherever it is, is where I want to be right now. :)

Olson Family said...

Wonderful!