Friday, October 20, 2006

Wise child

Last night, I was talking to my daughter on messenger, and the discussion turned to the events of the year not being great. I, of course, said, as I do annually, hopefully next year will be better. (I should know better!) Wise child said.... it won't be. There will always be awful things that happen. The part you need to focus on is how you grow from them in a positive way. How you handle the worries and not the worry itself is what matters. I did point out that the past 9 years had not been spectacular. She reminded me that 9 years was more than half David's life.

Wow. That pulled me up short. Half his life. I spent a lot of time thinking about that, and the last nine years took on a new dimension. If I look not at the awful things, but on what has happened because of them, it is amazing how different it seems. I am unrecognisable from the woman I was back then. Temper tamed, more patience, more faith, happy with so much less. I am calmer, I have learned how to prioritise, and rely on my talents more. I have had to sort out things I thought I could not do. I have learned to trust my instincts, and to be less confrontational but I can still be a warrior when I need to be. My son is a happy gentle giant. Undemanding and content. So focussing on the positive and putting aside the difficult, I can see how friendships have deepened, new friends have been made. My experiences have enabled me to be there to help other people when it has been necessary, and throughout all the turmoil, I have gained so much that is precious.

Wise child indeed.

1 comment:

momteacherfriend said...

Is that not the truth, we are different people than we were ten years ago. It is good to look at things, including time, in different perspectives from time to time.
It is interesting to think that next year I will have been married for 10 out of 30 years. I will have to mull on that one for a bit.