Wednesday, October 03, 2012

31 Days of being Creative - inspiration strikes.......

Hello people - in the spirit of creativity, I inspired myself and have been in the sewing room all day. Well, actually, Margaret popped by yesterday to use my embroidery machine, and it was still out, and I started thinking and, hello, the day is gone. I have a pile of embroidery done for Christmas ideas, and eureka, I have 11 bobbins full of white cotton all neatly in a line for more efforts, should the creative muse strike again in the near future. There is nothing that irritates me more when I am sewing than having the bobbin run out mid creative spurt. And when I do machine embroidery, they run out often, and it is easy to slot in a full bobbin. That is, providing one has full bobbins. We do now. Insert cheesy grin. This is particularly appropriate as I have cauliflower cheese bubbling away in the oven for supper as I speak, courtesy of Jean's impulse buy of an enormous cauliflower, which she felt moved to share. Perfect.

I digress.

Food makes me digress.

Especially when cheese is involved.

Margaret is mid Advent Calendar creation. She is making them for her grandchildren, and had to number the pockets. Of course, she did. Advent calendars without numbers would be pointless. So, while I oversaw (that sounds weird) the process, I also hopped back and forth to the computer to check for embroidery machines. I cannot BELIEVE how pricey they are! Mine was a real bargain long ago, and it is going to keep going forever. It has to. I absolutely love it. It is not fancy, and doesn't come with USB ports and the ability to convert one's own designs, but I use the cards Marge and I have between us, and we manage to cope perfectly.

I did suggest that maybe Margaret may think about one, because she has 4 young grandchildren (so far) and who knows how many exciting sewing projects she may embark on in the coming years.

And before I forget, Bookworm, if you want a sewing lesson or 2, I am happy to oblige. It is a great deal easier than it seems! And just treat the pedal as an accelerator. After you set the machine on the snail speed, of course.

So, today, out came the Christmas fabric. I have many ideas, and many half ideas, and I need to play a bit to see what works best for what I am wanting to make. If you have been here a while, you will know that I love making my presents, and I particularly love making Christmas things for Christmas. Home to home, remembering what Christmas is all about. Some years I veer towards the wood supply and my scroll saw, and the kitchen gets covered in dust, but I have such fun. Other years, the sewing room wins. And then every year, there are the baked goodies I give away as well. I do love making things to give away......

Being creative doesn't have to be complicated, does it. It is just that there is something special giving away gifts made using your time and your hands. Not to mention your imagination.

So I play with ideas, and then see how they work in reality. Some do, and some do not. I have seen my fair share of disasters over the years, but I usually hide them and Never Speak Thereof.

One thing I wanted to say about creativity - just arranging things in our homes requires creativity. I change for the seasons here, and that is such fun. However, this year I had to find last years's Autumn photos to see how I made it work. The muse had vacated the premises that day. Choosing cushions for the sofa is being creative. Laying a pretty table is being creative. Arranging (or plonking) flowers in a vase is being creative. Good grief, choosing an outfit that works is creative. Everyone of us makes creative decisions every single day. Today is not one of those - sigh -  if we take a look at the outfit I am wearing. I threw on whatever was on the end of the bed this morning, not intending to leave the house. Nothing creative there. But that is just fine too. I used the creative bit in the sewing room.

Stick around, people, I will get to the part where we actually make things soon, I promise..............

6 comments:

Crystal said...

Speaking of cauliflower - I make pizza crust with it these days! It's quite good. I'd love an embroidery machine - perhaps one day. Off to pick more tomatoes - it's threatening to snow here so off they must go. Thanks for these 31 days of creativity, Linds.

Needled Mom said...

I can't wait to see what becomes of all the Christmas ideas. It's always fun to sew with friends. Things just come out better somehow.

Vee said...

=)

Where is it going to snow? This is the second time I've heard the word today. Ackkk...

I started grinning when I read that you put whatever was on the end of the bed this morning. So did I and I was just glad that I hadn't worn it to bed. ☺

Hope that supper was delicious! John brought home a taco salad that I devoured without tasting it. That's what an afternoon in the sewing room will do for a gal.

Can't wait to see what you're working on or what you were working on last year or whatever you can show.

Meggie said...

I have you on my smartphone, and regularly read your posts, but cannot seem to comment. Just wanted to say how much I still enjoy reading your posts and thoughts. I still seem to be somewhat 'frozen' and am not achieving any creatives. I also seem to be spending some time on fb as it is easy to just flick off a line or two. XX

Carole Burant said...

LOVE your background:-) No wonder this is my favourite time of year, I so love the coloured leaves!!

I'm impressed that you know how to machine embroider...my sewing machine and I have a funny relationship, it ignores me and I ignore it! lol Considering my mom was quite the seamstress in her day (she made all my clothes while I was growing up), I know how to hem pants...period!

I love that you usually make your own Christmas presents to give out. I need to do more of that!! Looking forward to seeing what you create:-) xoxo

The Bookworm said...

I would love to take you up on that, though it will have to wait until my life has more space :(. I'm trying to know my limits, one of which is no new hobbies while already at full stretch! Meanwhile I think a daughter broke the needle and I have no idea how to change it :(. And that whole accelerator thing frightens me :(. And I don't know why I so wimpish about sewing machines as I am not normally wimpish - maybe there is some deep seated sewing machine trauma in my past?