Monday, October 22, 2012

31: a different kind of creating.......


003
Here I am again. As you can see, I have planted little violas/pansies/somethinglikethat in the pots at the front door, on the grounds that I will have my family home for Christmas, and someone will be here to water them. They are so pretty, aren't they. Soon they will fill the tubs and look superb. 

One of my friends asked me if I would make her some tags for presents this year. So last night, I spent a while drawing on wood, and this morning, after aqua (which nearly killed me today - it was TOUGH), I came home and fired up the scroll-saw in my kitchen.....
009
The stuff on the left is gardening equipment, about to be packed away for the year. On the right, the painting is one done by David, which is awaiting a frame, so it can join the rest of my art gallery, and the old coffee tin is waiting for me to get out the hot glue and rope to transform it. Maybe tomorrow. The last of the seed collection is drying in the bright bowls, and, in the basket (I MADE), are my potatoes. The white stuff in the front it the wood. 

010
So, I stand in front of it like this, and guide the wood with my hands on either side of the blade, holding it still and I can cut out any kind of shape. The secret is not to go too slow, and also, to keep the downward pressure even. My kitchen is now covered in sawdust, but that is just fine. Everyone should keep a scroll-saw in the kitchen.

Ah, I remember when I was watching my colleague teach resistant materials (which means wood work, metal work etc) and the kids were petrified of the scroll-saw and backed away, and then I stepped up (the granny) and cut out a quick heart for them, and they were amazed. I love playing with wood. They all wanted a go after seeing me. It was a moment of triumph.

008
And here are the tags, awaiting the sanding. Much sanding. The paper is under them. Then they will be painted, then decorated, and then written on, then drilled with a hole, then sprayed with a matt varnish to protect the amazing artwork. (Hahahahaha)

005
And a little bit of string and you are good to go. Theses are just some of the ones I made in 2006. So long ago. I had a ball making them then, and I haven't made any since, so this will be a nice change. I have some more wooden things I want to try too.

So that is a definite change, and it is creative and I planted flowers. And now I am off to make some coffee. I will let you see the tags as they evolve!

4 comments:

Run Quilt Knit Write said...

I LOVE your tags Linds - they're gorgeous!

Vee said...

They are darling! However, I am not going to share this post with John for if he sees that "every kitchen should have a skill saw" I'll be sunk. Hope that the kinks work out as the day progresses. Are you remembering how much you love your instructor today?

Meggie said...

I love reading your posts. I read them in bed, and when I try to leave a comment it will not publish from my smartphone.
Those tags are just lovely. Have been thinking I need to get me some plants to cheer myself.

Carole Burant said...

I think you're the only person I know that has a scroll saw in her kitchen! lol Telling you, though, I'd rather that than seeing someone fix their motorcycle in the living room! lol I absolutely love your wooden tags and the images on them are so adorable!!! You, my friend, are extremely talented:-) xoxo