2lbs (1kg) cooking apples
1/2lb (250g) marge (or butter)
1/2lb (250g) sugar
3/4 lb (375g) self raising flour
dash of vanilla essence
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cream marge with 1/4lb (125g) sugar
- Add beaten eggs
- Add flour and essence
- Line two 8 inch round cake tins with greaseproof paper and spread the mixture about half an inch thick
- Peel core and slice the apples thinly and press down into the mixture rounded side up (I find it easiest to do 4 at 12 o' clock, 3, 6 and 9 o' clock and then fill in the quarters. Then do the middle. )
- Dredge with the remaining 1/4lb (125g) sugar and cinnamon mixed together
- Bake at 390F (200C) for 30 minutes, until the apples are cooked.
- Serve with whipped cream
- This recipe freezes beautifully. I pop the cake into a plastic bag. Thaw at room temperature for 5-6 hours.