Wednesday, January 11, 2012

There is more, you know.........

It is beautiful, isn't it? Those of you who have been around a while will know just how much I love this place, and how I have loved it since I was a child. Some things do not change - they just get better. The beauty feeds the soul. My soul. Thank God I have seen this. I know this place. 

One of the ladies who works with my sister suggested that we get on the Number 4 bus and ride to the end of the route up the opposite side of the mountain, to get a totally different view of the valley. The bus is free during the season, so this morning, we hopped on it and zoomed up the very steep road. It couldn't go to the end of the line because the sun wasn't out yet, and the roads needed the sun to thaw the ice a bit more before buses attempt the climb. Not before 11am. The road is narrow and there is a steep drop down the side, and if you meet another car, one of you has to back down and let the other pass. The bus tends to win the showdown. 

We got off at the hotel, and walked a little way up the road the bus couldn't drive up, and discovered homes we never knew existed. Tucked away. Stunning homes. But we could not see the village because of mountains of snow, so we inched our way down the road again, avoiding the ice, and then wandered along the road, which winds its way around the mountain. Isn't it funny how we always want to see around the next corner??? I just want to keep going! I am curious, you see. 


 I had never been up this side of the valley before, but I will go up there again, because the road needs to be explored. Oh, it was so beautiful. We time the outings in the morning to be out and about when the sun reaches the valley. I have learnt the old mountisn maxim of getting up and out as early as possible when the weather is good, because things change so fast in the mountains. I took over 100 photos in the space of an hour or 2. You are just seeing a couple!

 I cannot tell you how much these photos do not do the reality justice. You can have no real idea of how lovely it is, you see. Or how high up we were, or what the 360 degree view was like. Words fail me at times, and no camera could possible capture it adequately. You need to come and find out for yourselves. I promise you will not be disappointed.

 So we waited for the little bus to chug up the hill, and on we hopped. We decided to take the bus to the Talstation, where Marge works, have coffee, and then wander around the lake, only, as we arrived, the fog rolled up the valley. So we had the coffee or hot chocolate, and hot dogs for lunch and then wandered home along the river.
 This is one of the amazing snow machines. It drove across the river, pushing enough snow ahead of it to make a bridge. Believe me, the back end was even more impressive! (I just KNEW you would all be totally fascinated by machinery!)
  
An unexpected bonus on our freezing walk back (the temperature plummets in the fog) was the almost surreal beauty of the trees in the greyness. We couldn't believe how beautiful it was. Mystical. Ethereal.
 And then - and THEN we noticed the sun starting to creep through the mist and it seemed as if the mountain ridge was on fire. The trees were silhouetted against the sun and it was spectacular. If we had caught the bus home, we would have missed it all. It was one of those perfect moments.
And the perfect moments are what make the ordinary extra-ordinary. The delight energises me, and the picture in front of me etches itself in my memory forever. 

I will remember the beauty of today. The cold. The cat which followed David down the hill. The silence,  the echo of voices in the snow. The hair-raising drive up and down the mountain. Discovering a new place to explore. The suddenness of the fog rolling in. Fire-sun. Tiramasu. Another Christmas puzzle. Chicken in a basket. Personal statements for masters applications. Icy snow crunching under the snow boots. Laughter and delight. The joy.

I can't forget this, can I?

PS: Did I tell you about how much I love the freezing temperatures? Did I tell you that I love being out in the cold? You see, for  few short hours, if I am out, the cold numbs my leg totally, and I cannot feel the pain. Oh, the joy. I cannot tell you how wonderful it feels to have numb legs. And hands and other bits too. I can live with it all. Layers are good. Thawing is a whole other story, which I will not discuss. but it is worth every single second, believe me! And tomorrow I will do it all again.......

10 comments:

someone else said...

I know I've said it before, but every time I see photos like these I still have a hard time believing this is a real place. It's no wonder you love it so.

Vee said...

It's all so incredible and ,yes, I am interested in machinery. It's unlike anything I've seen in our corner. Your words may fail (I don't really think so, though you'd know better than I); however, they go a long way to providing an even truer sense to these photos. I notice that so many of the trees (some sort of spruce perhaps) are topped in cones. The mountains are truly magnificent and I tried to see where one might ski down a slope. I saw one...the rest much too steep I think. How wonderful that out in the cold you get some respite from the leg pain. Well, Heidi, I must go, but I'll be back tomorrow!

Needled Mom said...

It really does look like an amazing place. I am so glad that you are able to enjoy it as often as you can. The pictures are just glorious and I don't like the cold!!!

Crystal said...

One day I would love to join you here for a visit to experience this wonderful place that you love so much. I'm rather envious of Jean this year :) Thanks for sharing your photos and your love with us.

boysmum2 said...

Despite the cold snow that place looks amazing. Beautiful pictures.

Run Quilt Knit Write said...

Just lovely Linds - wish we could have had more of that sort of weather though!!!

Linda said...

It is simply magical. What an incredible Creator we have.

Donnetta said...

Unbelievable beauty! Breathtaking beautiful!!!

So glad you didn't take the bus, but walked and had these moments. WOW!

Pam said...

I bet the cat's not so keen on the cold as you are...

Becky said...

Oh, the JOY!!!....of God's amazing and glorious creation ~ and that you are enjoying it with your family and friends! Thanks for sharing, as I vicariously relish your time in Switzerland.

Blessings to you and yours for 2012!