Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Guess what???

I have been very restrained.

I have waited for my daughter-in-law to break her news.

I am not usually restrained.

Not really.

What? You hadn't noticed????

This morning, I had a call from my son to tell me that their baby, which is due in February next year - my very first grandchild - is a GIRL!! I see pink in my future! Girly things, dresses, curls, dolls, ballet......

All right you lot, you can shut up now. I have a daughter, you know. A lovely one too. A beautiful young woman. Perfect, in fact. She had the curls and the pink things, and did ballet too, but forget the dresses and dolls. She was, and still is, unique. My adventurer. She wanted to climb trees. She howled every time I put her in a pretty dress, screeched that she wanted to wear "teeters and torts" like her big brother, and the only time I ever got her into a dress, I lied. I told her it was a long sweatshirt. And she totally bought it. But she did love pink. I distinctly remember the pink party we had one year.......

It will be fun to go and look at all the new little girly things for my granddaughter, and who knows, she may even like wearing dresses! Especially when she is too young to have an opinion. I know better now. Dresses when they are very, very small. Once the opinions take shape, I rather suspect she may have acquired a great deal of her father's stubbornness, which appears to be a family trait, and will have a mind of her own. I can't think where they get it from.....

Her father has already announced that she is grounded until she is 26. I think we can interpret that as "he has not got a clue how well his little girl has already wrapped her Daddy around her little finger, has he???" And she has not even been born yet!

So there is my news for the day - plenty to smile about - my little granddaughter is due to arrive at the start of February. And even if she does prefer climbing trees to dolls, teeters and torts to dresses, and karate to ballet, this Granny will love her to bits. Not to mention all the other members of our 2 families who are bouncing off the walls with excitement as I speak. Just like me.

21 comments:

Dawn said...

I had a hard time coming up with C words for some reason - I would have had a lot of the same as yours, minus the coffee and candles. I needed to go through a dictionary to come up with words this time - pathetic!

Congratulations on your soon coming granddaughter. Little girls are so wonderful!

Lori said...

Wonderful news Linds!! A little girl. How sweet. I love putting little girls in dresses. You're right, when they are little you can get by with it. I tried with my oldest daughter. She wore them when she was too little to protest, but boy did she protest when she was able, LOL! But, then my next daughter (the one pregnant), loved dresses! They are all so different.

Congrats! Congrats!

Vee said...

I well remember wandering through the baby clothes aisles trailing my finger over those sweet little girls' clothes knowing full well that it would be grandsons and not granddaughters. I'll just have to enjoy your new granddaughter and Judy's at My Front Porch. Hers was born yesterday!

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Boys are just as special in their own way, but there's nothing else quite like a sweet baby girl.

Congratulations all around, Linds. I don't think the little cherub will be spoiled at all, do you? ;o)

Love and hugs,

Diane

Kelli said...

Oh sweetie, I am SOOOO happy for you. Get your orders in with Barb now for some of those lovely girlie things :) LOL

What a treat!!

Butterfly Mama said...

How fun! Congrats!!

Heidi

Sandra said...

Oh I'm SO thrilled for you :) Congratulations!

Jeana said...

Oh, so exciting! Congratulations!

Chris said...

Can't wait to see photos of the little redhead...because we all know she'll be red, right? With freckles, and pigtails, and skinned knees, and chubby cheeks that grannies just want to pinch and eat up because they're so sweet...

Oh, I just LOVE little girls! Yea for you!

Crystal said...

Oh, that is marvelous news!!! Grandchildren are precious and little girls can melt a grandmother's heart in a second - trust me, I know!! And the shopping - oh, my, the shopping - you will be in your glory as you look and wonder and occasionally purchase :) I pray that her growth will be complete and that God will always watch over her.

Luanne said...

A little girl, how wonderful! I must say I'm a little envious. I wanted a granddaughter so much.
But I won't complain because I wouldn't trade the grandboys for anything.
Enjoy the spoiling.

Luanne

Susie said...

What wonderful news, but I know you would have been delighted either way. As you say, the girls don't always love the "girly things" My own two granddaughters are a perfect example of that.
xo

someone else said...

There's no end to the excitement when considering which pink thing to buy first. I love all the ruffles and frills and lace and cutie-pie stuff. You're going to need to win the lottery or have some shopping self-control. I failed on both counts.

Carole Burant said...

Woohoo!! A girl!! Once our granddaughters are born, we will have to compare notes! lol I'm so excited for you, how much fun we will both have buying pink things for our grandbabies:-) Congratulations to all of you!! xoxo

Anonymous said...

I have already heard from the father to be that his daughter is planning to be raised on playstation games, computer and the like :) Be afriad!

On the plus side, now i've narrowed the items i can purchase for her future birthday down to two! She'll be getting the same thing in a row for several years but no worries there!

Olson Family said...

C - Congratulations!

Theresa said...

I'm so excited for you. My daughter is getting married on 10-10-10 and hopefully sometime thereafter I might be in a position to be a grandmother....I'm so ready.

Edith said...

Congratulations! That is so exciting.

Have a blessed day.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Linds. What a lovely post, and so nice for you to have this to look forward to right now.

Barbara said...

Can feel your excitement, February will be here before we know it.

I can finally share my excitement. Had to keep it to myself until after 3 months! We are going to be grandparents again in April.

Barb said...

You are going to have so much fun, Linds. Cameron has a very special place in my heart, but I'm quickly discovering there's plenty of room for two...or three, or four, or....

Baby girls are special and you'd better be careful because they are definitely a LOT of fun to shop for! LOL

Congratulations!