Monday, September 22, 2008

The sun and the son....

So the first day of life after children is here. It has been a strange day. I have been on the phone a great part of the time trying to sort out work and other related nightmares. Trying to find out when I may have the op. Trying to sort out stuff. Stuff. Stuff is vastly over-rated.

However. Moving on.


My son appears to be having a good time. The photo above was taken on the way down to the university, as the sun rose at dawn. It seems to be filled with golden promise, and was unbelievably beautiful. Even if it was the M25!
Today is the first official day of Freshers Week, so he will have a lot to do, see and discover. He had a great time with his brother and sister-in-law yesterday, and managed to show some new arrivals where to go and what to do too. He did not, however, manage to discover where breakfast was served. No doubt he fixed that today! He is meeting people and making friends, and hopefully, once the proper term starts next week, he will be off and running.
That is Canterbury Cathedral from the lawns outside his res. Such a lovely view.


There is greenery everywhere. It is a really beautiful campus, and everything he needs is there - just minutes from his res, so he is very fortunate. He started jogging again this morning, and says there are wonderful places to run, so that is also great. It is good. And I am so glad he is happy.

I am paying the price for spending rather longer on my feet than was advisable. So I am having a quiet few days. Maybe tomorrow I will have something interesting to say.

I live in hope.

14 comments:

Crystal said...

Ah - hope - the tiny little thing that alights in our soul, according to Emily Dickinson (I think!). Such a good thing!

Thank you for sharing the pictures - now I have some images to connect with David, the university and all the updates you will give us about his year. It sounds like all is well in his world - that's a good thing.

Rest peacefully, my friend!

Dawn said...

What a beautiful place he has landed! I love beautiful college campuses. That's one thing I miss about my former jot - walking around a beautiful campus.

Good for David! And let's hope and pray that things start looking up for you as well.

Vee said...

Such a lovely campus. It's great for you to know that he is happy and has much to keep him busy.

As for you, you always have interesting things to say. Take care and take some you time.

someone else said...

Every time you post pictures of places in England, I always get such a tug inside to get on a plane and go again. I love it there, and I never run out of fascination.

Needled Mom said...

Although you will miss him terribly, he is in a beautiful place. That whole area around Canterbury is so gorgeous. He will enjoy his days there so much.

I loved your "Eyes" post. It is so very true. How differently we look at life throughout the years. Isn't it fun to be able to look back and see all the stages?

Anonymous said...

Hi Linds.

I love the new look of your place!

Judith said...

"Maybe tomorrow you'll have something interesting to say."
Linds, You just did. Making certain everything is safe and friendly and good for your son
while he's away. Dealing with your work and that troublsome injury,
and all the while showing us beautiful scenery. How like you to see the good in everything, even though some make you sad. Something good is coming your way. God rewards hearts like yours.

Barbara said...

My friend from across the street has just received her daughter home after 3 years at Canterbury. She liked it there.
So you passed just 10 mins. away from me.If the sun was rising then I was asleep.
I like your new site. Seems the popular thing to do at the moment.
Anyhow I know you are going to miss David, not easy adjusting as you know.
Blessings.

Diana Langdon said...

I would like to point out that life after children doesn't mean that they're no longer alive. This daughter is most certainly still alive and kicking. I will always be your child!

Linda said...

It is a beautiful campus Linds. It sounds as though he is quite happy. Praying for you friend - I am sure you are more than ready to get your knee mended. I want to say have a restful few days, all the while knowing how weary you are of having to rest. Instead, just know I'm praying the Lord will bless you in a very special way.

Desia said...

I agree with your daughter about children. Tonight my husband suggested we adopt one or two children when our youngest leaves home in two or more years! I don't think so, especially since our first grandbaby arrives within the next 30 days, I can hardly wait to see and "grandmother" the little one!

Joyful Days said...

Gorgeous photos. What a beautiful place he is at!

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Yay! Finally, your blog is updating in my Bloglines again! I had thought you were taking a blog break, but after reading over your last several posts I found that you were having some feed issues.

You're not alone; if the feed on my blog ever quit working I'm not sure I could ever fix it. Good job on fixing yours though!

Such an exciting but stressful time, leaving your baby at college. I went through it a couple of years ago with Jessica, but it didn't last long. She decided uni wasn't for her and got a job, a boyfriend, a marriage license and a baby. Maybe not what I'd have chosen for her, but she seems to be happy, and that's all that matters.

Hope David loves it at uni, and that you settle into being alone, but not lonely. Still praying about your dratted knee and surgery.

Happy first week of Fall!

Love and hugs,

Diane

Susan said...

Such a wonderful, exciting, fun time for him. Spreading those wings.
Susan