Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Venturing out a little...

Schools are going back as I speak. Some yesterday, some today and some tomorrow. Me? I am at home. Where I have been for the past nearly 11 weeks. My attempts to heal myself overnight failed. I am not a miracle worker after all.

I tried driving a little further afield, and needed a nap. And when I say a little further afield, I mean 2 miles. Me the long distance driver, who loves zooming all over Europe, done in by 2 miles. So that clearly didn't work very well.

Then, a friend offered to take me to get the footstool I need to rest my leg on - please tell me why I only realised this 10 weeks after damaging it? All that time wasted! It would have saved my couch covers too. But never mind. Where was I.... the footstool.

So I was collected at 9, and we got to Ikea and had coffee and something to eat. Then I was so good - I had my list, did not walk round the floor, but went straight to the warehouse part, collected what I needed and checked out. It took me 50 mins in total. I had to then sit down. For an hour and a half. On to lunch, sitting down, and instead of walking round the shops, I sat on a bench for another hour and a half until it was time to come home. I was finished. Exhausted. I snoozed on the couch.

So what did that prove? I was out of the house for less than a full working day, and sitting down for the best part of it. And I could not cope. At this rate, heaven knows when I will be able to go back to work. I am on my feet all day at work, or walking about up and down stairs. And it is about 15 miles drive from here too. And then back. I have a headache just thinking about it all.

Anyway. I have a footstool. Bargain price.

I finished reading The Shack" over the weekend, and occupied an extremely large part of my time afterwards trawling through a zillion blogs to see what other people thought about it. It gave me a great deal to think about, I have to say. Leave your preconceptions behind when you read it, and just focus on the story. It is fiction, remember, and written for the author's children initially, never intended for global publication. Many people talk about the forgiveness in the book. Others, the healing, grace or fear. For me, the main focus in the end, was the justice. It really challenged me. Any book which encourages conversation, discussion, debate or thought is worth reading, I think. And this certainly does that. So read it, and then come back and let me know what you think!

Dell update: No word from them at all. And I spent another hour on the phone to India last night. The man I spoke to says he has emailed their customer service department who will call me today, and he says he will call to check on that tomorrow. Hmmmm. The jury is out on that one. I have had no response to any of my emails or comments on the dell blogs.

And now I am going to call the Consultant's secreatary to find out re treatment etc. Just on a side note - my sister's friend went to the doctor last Friday, because she was concerned about something. She had an MRI yesterday, and saw the doctor a couple of hours later for the results. All is well. However, the contrast with here is beyond belief. This is also a first world country after all.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Not to worry Dear Linds, I have decided that you are just being tested in every way possible to see how much you can handle. You are doing GREAT.....I saw the score card when I was looking over the Dell guy's shoulder. Thumbs up for Linds. I didn't get to see what the Dr guys and the perseverance guys had on their score cards......They were just too secretive and kept turning around giving me dirty looks every time I tried to peak.
Hugs Linds.....

Gillie said...

I kept checking over the weekend for a new blog entry from you - it will get better, the footstool will be just the thing. Keep writing, dear friend, I so enjoy your thoughts on everything and you are an inspiration to me and to many others. I have put "The Shack " on my list.

Here's to the downfall of Dell by Linds!
blessings, gillie

Vee said...

Take your time, Linds, be easy with yourself. I'm so glad that you got the hassock...that should be very helpful indeed...how about a recliner, too? :D

I loved "The Shack." It obviously speaks to people on many different levels. I was going to write about it one day, but now realize that I would have to re-read it to write intelligently about it. I do know that I wept my way through it and I also know that I don't have any troubles with the theology of it...fiction/allegory contains a great deal of truth.

Take it easy today...(I'm not even going to mention the word that rhymes with bell.) Sigh.

secondofwett said...

I also read The Shack this summer...I enjoyed it,..once I got into it and for me, even though it was fictionb, it helped understanding the whole Trinity thing and also made me realize once again, just how lacking my relationship with God really is...

Needled Mom said...

Still no word from Dell? Am I surprised....NO!!!! Can't wait to hear when they finally contact you.

Glad that you got the footstool. It sounds as though it was a tiring experience.

The contrast in medical care is striking.

Hope your week improves.

Sandra said...

You know Dell already irritated me before, but ever since following your problem with them, it just makes me want to scream for you. It's really ridiculous.

I'm so sorry you're having a hard time but hopefully the footstool does the trick :)

zztop357 said...

I'm sorry Linds, Dell really sucks sometimes.Any product can be a lemon. But the customer service is whats getting to me. Try finding a different phone number on line. Then ask to be transfered to a supervisor.
I hope the foot stool helps the knee. I can understand being tired. Sitting and laying around just wears me out.
God bless you girl.
Donna

Barb said...

Between your knee and the Dell, I'd be screaming by now. I can only imagine how frustrated you are, on both counts.

I still can't believe the runaround you're getting about your knee. I can understand about Dell because honestly, I wouldn't expect anything else from them, but this thing with your knee is serious enough to completely change the way you can live your life. I'd be on the phone every hour on the hour until SOMEONE listened to me and figured out what is wrong and what needs to be done.

I'm very frustrated for you, Linds.

Dawn said...

Every day I am in shock for the way you're being treated - on both issues. I would sure like to know what you did to your knee, and am so sorry that it exhausts you so much. I know how sad you are to be unable to do the things you love, and even the things you don't like doing!

Blessings!

Dawn said...

P.S. - The Shack - unbelievable how many sites are discussing this book today. My sis has the book, and I must ask her to borrow it.

Susie said...

Hi Linds,
I'm so behind on visiting! So sorry that things are still so bad. I just can't believe how slowly things move with your poor knee.
I know how frustrating that and the whole Dell issue must be.
xo

Angie said...

Hi Linds. Like Barb above, I am frustrated for you to! As we say in the south, "Bless your heart!"

Hubby is reading The Shack. I"d like to read it too.

I realized last night as I was telling God the way I thought things should go and be that actually He should be telling ME the way things are to go and be. So I repented am asking Him to show me what's next. I have so many concerns right now - over our kid's education here, the future - yada, yada, yada. He knows it all and already has it figured out. I so easily forget Prov. 3:5,6!

Praying for you today - for your recovery, your future, and that crazy Dell computer.